Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#604153 - 08/23/06 11:22 PM France
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Passports in France

This one,'says it all', about what the basic philosophy of our country. Is all about, and how we are received around the world.
At a French airport... A group of American retired teachers recently went to France on a tour. Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, was part of the tour group.

At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready,"

The American said, "the last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible!" barked the officer "Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France."

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained. "Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in '44 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find any Frenchmen to show it to."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#604154 - 08/23/06 11:55 PM Re: France
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I like this

Return to Top
#604155 - 08/24/06 12:50 AM Re: France
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The French are very appreciative of the US servicemen who served in WWII and they are very open in the response to them when they visit France. When my Dad was there, he was welcomed with open arms. My brother was living there and my Dad spent long hours talking with a shop keeper whom my brother thought only spoke French. For my Dad, he spoke English!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#604156 - 08/24/06 02:52 AM Re: France
Anonymous
Unregistered

kaybee: Absolutely right. We visited the American cemetery in Epinal, France in June. It is one of 11 cemeteries that the French have given the US for WWII casualties. The property is treated similarly to an embassy, the US pays no tax and has control over the land indefintely.

We were there shortly after Memorial Day. That's not a French holiday, of course, it's an American holiday. Nevertheless, according to the US caretaker there had been a large crowd of French citizens there for a memorial ceremony to pay their respects over 60 years after the end of the war! Epinal

The first post in this thread. by the way, is a joke that's been circulating on the internet.

Return to Top