Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#165094 - 03/01/04 11:49 AM What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is just a joke, but it is pretty funny. Who knows, maybe there is some truth in it.

WalMart's New Offering

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#165095 - 03/01/04 04:25 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
PapaChief Offline
PapaChief
Downtown Many, Louisiana
I just wish they would offer a "Forbidden Entry List" so I could put my wife's name on it. ....I lost my wife recently.....but found her at Wal-Mart. Really, every time we go into Wal-Mart i just glance off and she's gone...takes forever to find her....Maybe They should offer
an adult day care for Men.......Wide Screen TV, a couple of beers, poker table.....

Return to Top
#165096 - 03/01/04 04:41 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
This is great!!!

I hate WalMart. I think Sam Walton was the poster child for unethical business practices and the entire corporation continues in his footsteps.

Return to Top
#165097 - 03/02/04 11:53 AM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do you figure that?

Return to Top
#165098 - 03/04/04 09:35 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

How do you figure that?

Wal-Mart had a big part in the killing of many a small town downtown shopping districts. It's practices during the '60s, '70s, and '80s was to come to a town and build a store on the edge of town and undersell everyone else. Eventually the small business folks were driven out of business. Wal-Mart's practice was very calculated and very deliberate. Coffeyville, Kansas is a perfect example. Coffeyville does not need Walmart. The city should boot them out.

In my mind, Sam Walton's legacy is that he was as the killer of small town business in America. Huzzah for Sam the Greedy.

Return to Top
#165099 - 03/04/04 09:44 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

Wal-Mart had a big part in the killing of many a small town downtown shopping districts. ....

Walmart came into town to give people what they wanted - a fair range of merchanise at a price they can afford, and a load of low-skill jobs to boot.

Walmart does not press-gang people from the downtown shopping district and force them to shop at Walmart, people go there of their own choosing. Has that led to the closure of many small "mom and pop" stores? Sure, but they stocked a small range of products and charged high prices. In any case if Walmart hadn't filled the niche then another retailer would have.

As I see it, you can no more blame Walmart for killing small retailers than you can blame Ford for the collapse in the market for horse carts. It's called progress, I'm sorry if you don't like it!

Return to Top
#165100 - 03/04/04 09:51 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
[quoteWal-Mart had a big part in the killing of many a small town downtown shopping districts. It's practices during the '60s, '70s, and '80s was to come to a town and build a store on the edge of town and undersell everyone else. Eventually the small business folks were driven out of business. Wal-Mart's practice was very calculated and very deliberate. Coffeyville, Kansas is a perfect example. Coffeyville does not need Walmart. The city should boot them out.

In my mind, Sam Walton's legacy is that he was as the killer of small town business in America. Huzzah for Sam the Greedy.

1) You can also see the effect that barring Walmart from entry to small towns can have. The small Iowa town I lived in for a few years barred Walmart for the reason you stated, it would kill the small businesses. Here is the result; Walmart moved into a neighboring town (approx. 17 miles away) and most the people in the community take their business to the Walmart and the small businesses have gone out of business anyway but the town has lost the profits and the jobs that Walmart could have brought to the community.

2) On a personal note, I have never heard a negative comment about Sam from anyone who actually knew him. I have never heard him characterized as "greedy" by them either, but far from it.

Return to Top
#165101 - 03/04/04 10:07 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Several other companies tried to do what Wal*Mart did; sell at a discount from a large facility. I recall Valu Mart and the early days of KMart.

Wal*Mart succeeded despite stiff competition from every direction, including Sears, Montgomery Ward, and countless specialized discounters.

Trying to sustain the mom-and-pop stores is analogous to trying to sustain the family-operated farm. The inexorable trend is towards "efficiencies of scale".

Return to Top
#165102 - 03/04/04 11:24 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Return to Top
#165103 - 03/04/04 11:37 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

On a personal note, I have never heard a negative comment about Sam from anyone who actually knew him. I have never heard him characterized as "greedy" by them either, but far from it.

I'm sure Sam was a nice guy. But you can be greedy and nice, can't you? And just 'cause you're nice don't mean you're right. How much is enough? In America, if it's bigger, then it must be better. Right?

Return to Top
#165104 - 03/05/04 02:40 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
I'll repeat my 10/31/03 comments from another Wal-Mart thread.

My wife and I are in a position at this point in our lives to be able to shop most anywhere we want – but we go back to Wal-Mart for the convenience, cheap prices, and one-stop shopping.

They obviously got the business model right for the times. They generate huge sales tax revenues for local governments – just ask your local mayor or councilman how much. And they provide jobs – a USA Today article says that at one new store, 5000 applied for 460 available positions. Contrary to popular belief, I’ve also seen local merchants start up and prosper alongside them by going after a slightly different market, or by stepping-up service. Ask your commercial lenders, they’ll know some real-life success stories.

I’m a little skeptical of media reports bashing Wal-Mart. I suspect some or most of it is driven by a backlash against a no-union policy, or by a general anti-big-business bias. After all, Wal-Mart is the largest employer in something like 8 of our 50 states.

I'm open . . so what are some solutions to the Wal-Mart ‘problem’? Should they be put out of business? How? Are they too big? Should they be broken up by government action like Standard Oil or AT&T were? How do we do that without discouraging other entrepreneurs?

So anonymous posters, be specific. Just what is it you want done to Wal-Mart?

Return to Top
#165105 - 03/05/04 03:00 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quite honestly, I think they should be left alone. Why is it that we punish success in this country? You can grow, but don't get too big. You scare us. Is Wal-Mart perfect? Absolutely not. I'm sure there are people who have been wronged by them, but I think that, overall, they are very good for our economy.

Return to Top
#165106 - 03/05/04 08:01 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Ok, how about this?

Higher import tarriffs, to dis-incent manufacturers from sending their entire operations overseas in order to keep up with WalMart's demand that they continually lower their wholesale prices and cut their profit margins.

Buy American.

WalMart may be creating more retail jobs, but without domestic jobs that actually produce something, who will have the $$ to be able to buy what they're selling? We're increasingly becoming a nation of service employees, and not too many people actually make anything here in the good 'ol US of A anymore.

Return to Top
#165107 - 03/05/04 08:10 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Ok, how about this?

Higher import tarriffs, to dis-incent manufacturers from sending their entire operations overseas in order to keep up with WalMart's demand that they continually lower their wholesale prices and cut their profit margins.

What, and create higher prices for me when I go to the store? No thanks.

Return to Top
#165108 - 03/05/04 08:10 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Higher import tarriffs

Recipe for disaster. We are part of the global economy, and we have a competetive advantage in information age jobs, not manufacturing. Raising tarrifs would force Americans to purchase more items manufactured in the US, resources would be shifted from the areas where we have a competetive advantage back to manufacturing, and the result would be lower productivity and a lower standard of living for our children. Our future depends on freedom. Catch the wave.

Return to Top
#165109 - 03/05/04 08:11 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
Unfortunately, raising tariffs would invite retaliation from other countries and the EU through the WTO a la steel.
I actually wouldn't mind buying American, but we would all have to be willing to bear significantly higher prices on just about everything. Consumer prices, as a portion of peoples'income, for manufactured goods have gone down in recent times. We could possibly do this, but that would mean no more Hondas, Mercedes, etc. I would not necessarily mind doing this, but then I would expect not to hear complaints about prices being high or rising. Just my thoughts.

Return to Top
#165110 - 03/05/04 09:18 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

.... that would mean no more Hondas, Mercedes, etc.

In the global economy nothing is that simple any more - some Mercedes are now built in Alabama, Hondas in Ohio, Nissans in Mississippi, BMWs in South Carolina, whereas Dodges and Fords may have come from Mexico.

To complicate matter further, GM owns Saab, Ford owns Land Rover, Jaguar, and Aston Martin, but Chrysler belongs to Mercedes.

So, the question is: Which supports the US economy more, buying a Mexican built Dodge from a company owned by Daimler Benz, a BMW built in South Carolina, or a Land Rover built in the UK by a company owned by Ford?

Return to Top
#165111 - 03/05/04 09:53 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
True, I was just thinking about the companies. I don't really think that it is a practical solution in any event, because I don't think consumers would put up with the prices, and, in the end, I don't think it would be a win for this country or for others. It may have sentimental appeal, but I think the winning horse is the global horse. Thomas Friedman has been writing a good series on this as he visits India. The columns make for a pretty good read.

Return to Top
#165112 - 03/06/04 01:27 AM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's one for you... I live in a city where they are trying to find a place to put a Target. Most of the people who live here want it, but our governing officials think the city is "too good" for it... Instead, we have Sax Fifth Avenue and Nordstroms, that most people I know have never been in except to use the bathroom. The closest "discount" store is a K-Mart that's 10 miles from downtown! It's bad enough we have the highest gas prices in the state, and some of the highest housing costs, but now they won't even give us a chance to buy the items we need at a discount price. We have to drive 30 miles to the next city where they have Target, Walmart, etc...

Return to Top
#165113 - 03/08/04 03:38 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Sounds like you need to elect some new council members who have a little less money.

Return to Top
#165114 - 08/26/06 06:12 AM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My grandfather actually met Sam. Grandpa was a salesman for Dixon ind. He said Sam drove an old truck and wore a hat. This was only about 20 years ago, and I bet Sam wasn't actually running the company. There is a board making the tough decisions, Sam just started everything. He was just a "ma and pa shop" that made it big. It's not Sam's fault. If you started a business, wouldn't you hope it to be as sucessful?

Return to Top
#165115 - 08/28/06 02:18 PM Re: What's Next for Walmart?
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Quote:

How do you figure that?

Wal-Mart had a big part in the killing of many a small town downtown shopping districts. It's practices during the '60s, '70s, and '80s was to come to a town and build a store on the edge of town and undersell everyone else. Eventually the small business folks were driven out of business. Wal-Mart's practice was very calculated and very deliberate. Coffeyville, Kansas is a perfect example. Coffeyville does not need Walmart. The city should boot them out.

Capitalism can be a b***h.

Return to Top