Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#697188 - 03/06/07 04:44 PM Missionary Position
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Q: Dear Missionary Position,

Dear Missionary, we'd like to exchange our sponsor child for a newer one. Little Roberto has a certain pathos but our kids have grown tired of seeing his photo on the fridge. We'd like to move on to a cute Thai girl or something exotic from Indonesia. In fact, to maintain our family's excitement about missions we'd like to exchange our child annually. I'm wondering if any sponsor programs offer such "lease-exchange" options?

Ann LaFontaine, Hilton Head, S.C.

A: Dear Ann,

Congratulations on identifying a "trouble spot" in your family's missions support efforts. To spare people the tedium of a long-term commitment to one particular child, some sponsor programs do allow you to "return" or "exchange" your sponsor child. This is especially helpful when your sponsor child reaches adolescence and is no longer as cute as he or she once was. Indeed, some families employ a "trade 'em at twelve" strategy which seems to solve the problem.

But perhaps a better solution is to start a trading club with other sponsor parents. You may exchange sponsor children among yourselves the way you might swap playing cards. Lay the packets on a table, photos up, and make a fun family night of it. This keeps the sponsorship experience fresh for everyone, and if you manage it right the sponsor child doesn't need to know he or she has been traded.

I commend you for addressing your children's flagging interest in their sponsor child. Happy exchanging!

Mike Stewart, missionary to Ghana

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#697200 - 03/06/07 04:55 PM Re: Missionary Position °X°
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
?

Return to Top
#697207 - 03/06/07 04:57 PM Re: Missionary Position Bacon Boy
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
IBD

Return to Top
#697220 - 03/06/07 05:08 PM Re: Missionary Position Bacon Boy
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
It's a statement about how shallow some people are in this world. We have some of those people posting here.

Return to Top
#697240 - 03/06/07 05:23 PM Re: Missionary Position °X°
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Doing something noble for all the wrong reasons negates the primary action.

Return to Top
#697249 - 03/06/07 05:34 PM Re: Missionary Position °X°
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: _X_
It's a statement about how shallow some people are in this world. We have some of those people posting here.

mirror mirror on the wall, sweetheart.

Return to Top
#697266 - 03/06/07 05:51 PM Re: Missionary Position pjs
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Hey patrice - it's my own personal stalker! By the way, I just realized that you are female - now I feel better. The guys that follow me around the cooler can be creepy.

Are you feeling a little troubled today?

By the way, I do feel a little shallow at times, but it's not me thinking, but a part of me.

Return to Top
#697280 - 03/06/07 06:02 PM Re: Missionary Position °X°
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO

Return to Top
#697284 - 03/06/07 06:06 PM Re: Missionary Position pjs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Sadly, this happens in real life. People sponsor a child and then decide they don't look "poor enough" in the photo and want someone else. Little do they know that the same nice shirt is passed around an entire village so that the child can look his absolute best for the photo.

Return to Top
#697373 - 03/06/07 07:32 PM Re: Missionary Position pjs
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Originally Posted By: patrice
Originally Posted By: _X_

mirror mirror on the wall, sweetheart.

My thoughts exactly.

Return to Top
#697394 - 03/06/07 07:51 PM Re: Missionary Position CRAatBOK
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
I'd rather be shallow than brain dead.

Besides, if I wasn't shallow, how in heck would I be abel to deal with you?

Return to Top
#697403 - 03/06/07 07:58 PM Re: Missionary Position °X°
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Now that was a highly mature and thoughtful come back. Surely you weren't talking to me because I am your lusty sole mate.

Return to Top
#697406 - 03/06/07 08:01 PM Re: Missionary Position CRAatBOK
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Would you stop looking at the mirror - I'm not mature, you are mature, but I'm lusty, and you - years ago, perhaps.

Return to Top