BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#965186 - 05/27/08 02:07 PM We could all learn something from this kid
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I saw this on the news this morning and thought I would share it. In this time when many kids seem to be selfish and self absorbed, this was the kind of story that gives me hope.

Here is the story.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#965188 - 05/27/08 02:10 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
That is wonderful! What a great kid!

Return to Top
#965190 - 05/27/08 02:15 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Lisa_Bates
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Nice kid. I feel sorry for people with that many food allergies. However, I've got some of my own, and I made it through school with others having things I was allergic to, with food I was allergic to being served. In my opinion, we baby children with food allergies by making others responsible for them avoiding things they can't have contact with. When I was in school, I could have died if I ate the wrong thing, or had a very serious reaction if I came in contact with the wrong thing. But that didn't mean children couldn't bring PB&J, turkey sandwiches, etc. to school. I just had to make sure I avoided contact. The teachers were not made aware of what to do, other than call the nurse, if something happened. The world just didn't work that way. But I survived, and I learned to live in a world that had dangers for me. Do we think these children are going to be able to go to college and have everyone avoid bringing foods that could endanger them around them? We are not preparing them for real life when we baby them by restricting everyone from having foods that could be dangerous to them anywhere near them. That's not real life.

Return to Top
#965192 - 05/27/08 02:16 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Lisa_Bates
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Wow what a great kid. This gives you so much hope for our future generations.

Return to Top
#965206 - 05/27/08 02:31 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid kms
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Can someone explain why this kid has to sit in the hall?

My neice is deathly allergic to peanuts, but we don't have push her out the door just because we are eating them.

As if this kid doesn't already have problems, his parents stuck him with a special spelling of Jackson?

Return to Top
#965211 - 05/27/08 02:40 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Mint Julep
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Please don't miss the point of the story which is one little kid being selfless and doing something for a friend. I agree that there are issues with segragating kids from the general population and making them responsible, but that is not what my post or this story is about

Return to Top
#965212 - 05/27/08 02:43 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: thomasj
Please don't miss the point of the story which is one little kid being selfless and doing something for a friend. I agree that there are issues with segragating kids from the general population and making them responsible, but that is not what my post or this story is about

I like what the kid is doing for his friend, but at the same time, he shouldn't have to be doing it.

Have you seen anyone following the new "trend" in birthday parties of telling people not to buy them presents, but rather, to bring donations to food banks, homeless shelters, etc.?

Return to Top
#965229 - 05/27/08 03:15 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid B_F
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Nice kid. I feel sorry for people with that many food allergies. However, I've got some of my own, and I made it through school with others having things I was allergic to, with food I was allergic to being served. In my opinion, we baby children with food allergies by making others responsible for them avoiding things they can't have contact with. When I was in school, I could have died if I ate the wrong thing, or had a very serious reaction if I came in contact with the wrong thing. But that didn't mean children couldn't bring PB&J, turkey sandwiches, etc. to school. I just had to make sure I avoided contact. The teachers were not made aware of what to do, other than call the nurse, if something happened. The world just didn't work that way. But I survived, and I learned to live in a world that had dangers for me. Do we think these children are going to be able to go to college and have everyone avoid bringing foods that could endanger them around them? We are not preparing them for real life when we baby them by restricting everyone from having foods that could be dangerous to them anywhere near them. That's not real life.

Way to go BF... gotta turn the thread back to you!

Thanks for sharing the story Thomas... I dunno if I could have been that selfless at that age... the parents should be commended for the guidence they have given their son.

Return to Top
#965232 - 05/27/08 03:19 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid #Just Jay
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Thanks T for the story.

Return to Top
#965239 - 05/27/08 03:30 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid #Just Jay
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Just Jay

Way to go BF... gotta turn the thread back to you!

Actually, Jay, it's not about me, it's about the future of our children. Do we continue to coddle them and have them unable to function in the real world, or do we teach them to be strong enough and smart enough to succeed?

Return to Top
#965245 - 05/27/08 03:43 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid B_F
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Again, can't we please just all enjoy the POSITIVE message of the story? There were dozens of stories on the news this morning and most were awful and had a negative tone. Three teenagers were killed in my small area of the state this weekend in two different auto accidents. This story actually was a bright spot for me. Yes you can spin it in a negative way, but can't we just for a moment enjoy the goodness of this story? That is what the story and my post was all about. Let's stop bashing one another and wondering why the world is so terrible, enjoy the fact that one kid was a good friend to another, and leave it at that.

Return to Top
#965249 - 05/27/08 03:48 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I would be very proud if that boy were my son. His parents have done a fine job raising him!

Return to Top
#965253 - 05/27/08 03:54 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Again, can't we please just all enjoy the POSITIVE message of the story? There were dozens of stories on the news this morning and most were awful and had a negative tone. Three teenagers were killed in my small area of the state this weekend in two different auto accidents. This story actually was a bright spot for me. Yes you can spin it in a negative way, but can't we just for a moment enjoy the goodness of this story? That is what the story and my post was all about. Let's stop bashing one another and wondering why the world is so terrible, enjoy the fact that one kid was a good friend to another, and leave it at that.

Exactly, thomasj. Exactly.

Return to Top
#965268 - 05/27/08 04:21 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee

Thomas, your post and the story are both open to interpretation by any reader. Every story has multiple sides and each reader's perspective and past experience will cause that reader to react differently.

While this story may have given you warm fuzzies inside, it might have given others nausea. I can honestly say that after reading that story all I could think was "That poor kid has been stuck with a modern misspelling of Jackson by his parents who are over-eager to make him different one way or another, either by his name or his treatment in the cafeteria". I mean, seriously, if this kid's allergies are so bad he can't be in the room with milk, he should be living in a bubble, not attending a public school! There is some overkill going on there.

Return to Top
#965277 - 05/27/08 04:34 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Mint Julep
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I give up

Return to Top
#965302 - 05/27/08 04:57 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Don't give up, Thomas. It was a very heartwarming story and like RRSarah, if this were my son I would be extremely proud.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 05/27/08 04:57 PM.

Return to Top
#965322 - 05/27/08 05:31 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Skittles
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I agree with you thomasj. I just read the story, that town is VERY close to me and unfortunately I didn't hear that story on the local news this morning but wish I had. The main story was of a sight seeing helicopter crash and a 9 year old boy dying in the crash. They found him at the bottom of the lake still in the helicopter. An uplifting story would have been nice after hearing of the tragedies over the long weekend.

I too would be proud of my kid wanting to make sure his friend always had a lunch buddy.

Return to Top
#965325 - 05/27/08 05:33 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Skittles
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
There are those that see the glass as half-empty and those that will see it as half-full. Human nature I guess.

I haven't read any studies or anything but it seems to me that food allergies have increased (and become more severe) since I was a child. As I understand it some of these allergies are indeed life threatening and if I were Jaxson's parents I would probably put him in a bubble or hope that he would find compassion in people such as his young friend.

Return to Top
#965340 - 05/27/08 05:45 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I think kids today don't get chucked into the manure heap enough. Or maybe it's that city kids don't have enough access to manure heaps to be chucked into? Surely there's an urban alternative of some sort....doesn't George Carlin have a theory about growing up swimming in the Hudson? <jstp>

Return to Top
#965344 - 05/27/08 05:56 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid RR Becca
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Sarah, I think you are right about the increase in allergies. I did not know one kid who had a peanut allergy when I was growing up. Now, it the peanut warnings are all over my son's school.

I wonder if it has to do with an increase of processed foods or consumption of antibiotics (of the parents) that are causing this stuff.

Return to Top
#965345 - 05/27/08 05:57 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
and, Becca, if you swam in the Hudson inthe 60's and 70's... you couldn't possibly have any allergies after a dip in that muck.

Return to Top
#965348 - 05/27/08 06:00 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid Retired DQ
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
DQ, I'm sure kids in your school had peanut allergies. Noone talked about them. Noone gave them special treatment. Those of us who had food allergies were just taught to live with them, avoid contact with substances that could kill us, etc. Heck, we didn't even have epi-pens back then.

Return to Top
#965353 - 05/27/08 06:03 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid RR Becca
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
I think kids today don't get chucked into the manure heap enough. Or maybe it's that city kids don't have enough access to manure heaps to be chucked into? Surely there's an urban alternative of some sort....doesn't George Carlin have a theory about growing up swimming in the Hudson? <jstp>

LOL!! You can't imagine the mother's that were completely APALLED when they saw my kids barefoot in diapers running around the horse barn like little rugrats.

Return to Top
#965369 - 05/27/08 06:17 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid RR Jen
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I wholeheartedly agree that exposure to dirt and germs is a good thing for kids. I think that the increase in number and severity of allergies is real. If you think about it, 100 years ago, a lot of these kids with these allergies would not have survived. Today they survive and pass the allergies (which possibly get more and more severe) down to their kids. This is my theory and is not backed by any science other than what I learned down on the farm . There was a huge list in my son's preschool of kids and their food allergies. I myself had environmental allergies growing up and my daughter has pretty much the same ones now.

Return to Top
#965384 - 05/27/08 06:31 PM Re: We could all learn something from this kid thomasj
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
thomas is correct, society has advanced to the point where the weak are surviving and passing on their weakness into the gene pool.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2