Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#965157 - 05/27/08 01:21 PM Household tips!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
DID YOU KNOW?

Peel a banana from the bottom and you won't have to pick the little "stringy things" off of it. That's how the primates do it.

Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mold!

Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef. It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

To really make scrambled eggs or omelets rich add a couple of
spoonfuls of sour cream, cream cheese, or heavy cream in and then beat them up.

For a cool brownie treat, make brownies as directed. Melt Andes mints in double broiler and pour over warm brownies. Let set for a wonderful minty frosting.

Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic.

Leftover snickers bars from Halloween make a delicious dessert. Simply chop them up with the food chopper. Peel, core and slice a few apples. Place them in a baking dish and sprinkle the chopped candy bars over the apples. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes!!! Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream. Yummm!

Reheat Pizza
Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really works.

Easy Deviled Eggs
Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal, mash till they are all broken up. Add remainder of ingredients, reseal, keep mashing it up mixing thoroughly, cut the tip of the baggy, squeeze mixture into egg. Just throw bag away when done easy clean up.

Expanding Frosting
When you buy a container of cake frosting from the store, whip it with your mixer for a few minutes. You can double it in size. You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same amount. You also eat less sugar and calories per serving.

Reheating refrigerated bread
To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

Newspaper weeds away
Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers, put layers around the plants overlapping as you go cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic they will not get through wet newspapers.

Broken Glass
Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

No More Mosquitoes
Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

Squirrel Away!
To keep squirrels from eating your plants, sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

Flexible vacuum
To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

Reducing Static Cling
Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and ... ta da! ... static is gone.

Measuring Cups
Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

Foggy Windshield?
Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car . When the window s fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!

Reopening envelope
If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Viola! It unseals easily.

Conditioner
Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn't like when you tried it in your hair.

Goodbye Fruit Flies
To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

Get Rid of Ants
Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home," can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS
The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixes things around the house for us told us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the filter after every load clothes.) He told us that he wanted to show us something; he took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a mesh material ... I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. Well ...the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit.

You can't SEE the film, but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your clothes soft and static free ... that nice fragrance too. You know how they can feel waxy when you take them out of the box .. well this stuff builds up on your clothes and on your lint screen. This is also what causes dryer units to potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months.

Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#965160 - 05/27/08 01:25 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Thank you Heloise!

Return to Top
#965164 - 05/27/08 01:32 PM Re: Household tips! #Just Jay
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Anytime.

Return to Top
#965167 - 05/27/08 01:41 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I used the newspaper thing and so far - it works!

Return to Top
#965173 - 05/27/08 01:52 PM Re: Household tips! Skittles
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Gee thanks, to our own "little devil queen homemaker" I like the banana and green pepper tips, never heard those before and we have a huge ant hill next to the condo building. Think I'm buying some cornmeal and trying that one.

Return to Top
#965202 - 05/27/08 02:27 PM Re: Household tips! corkygirl
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I can't wait to try making "Devil Queened Eggs"! I always hated making them, but putting them in a ziplock and beating them up sounds like it would be a fun way to do it, and easier.!

Return to Top
#965216 - 05/27/08 02:45 PM Re: Household tips! B_F
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
some good stuff there, thanks

Return to Top
#965233 - 05/27/08 03:20 PM Re: Household tips! MB Guy
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Thanks mom I love it!

Return to Top
#965241 - 05/27/08 03:32 PM Re: Household tips! pjs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: pjs
Thanks mom I love it!

ooooh, Patrice!!

Return to Top
#965292 - 05/27/08 04:49 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
So whats the best way to get a little devil queen out of your hair?

Return to Top
#965299 - 05/27/08 04:54 PM Re: Household tips! Pale Rider
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Buy her jewelry...

Return to Top
#965306 - 05/27/08 05:00 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
::turns on QVC or the Jewelry channel::

Return to Top
#965312 - 05/27/08 05:19 PM Re: Household tips! Pale Rider
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Uh, Pale, only the real stuff, ya know... I can tell the difference.

Return to Top
#965370 - 05/27/08 06:17 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Reheat Pizza
Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really works.

Why would you want to do that? There's nothing better for breakfast than cold left over pizza straight from the fridge!

Return to Top
#965380 - 05/27/08 06:29 PM Re: Household tips! buggs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
No way, Bugsy... Hot and crispy.

Return to Top
#965598 - 05/27/08 11:57 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
Thanks for the tips

Return to Top
#965960 - 05/28/08 10:13 PM Re: Household tips! Blessed
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I always reheat my pizza in the toaster oven.... I'd think that works better than in a pan cuz it heats from top and bottom.

Return to Top
#965962 - 05/28/08 10:17 PM Re: Household tips! Dip
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Right Dip. Tell the truth: You use your Easy Bake Oven.

Return to Top
#965964 - 05/28/08 10:24 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
All good tips - except that one about the canned frosting....

If I wanted to drag out the mixer to whip up the frosting - I wouldn't have bought the canned stuff to begin with!

Return to Top
#965970 - 05/28/08 11:25 PM Re: Household tips! Lestie G
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I've also tried the banana and that works, too.

Return to Top
#965988 - 05/29/08 02:10 AM Re: Household tips! Skittles
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Does the cornmeal idea work on red ants too? Sounds a lot cheaper than spreading Amdro twice a year!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#966019 - 05/29/08 01:05 PM Re: Household tips! Tigg
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
peppermint extract repels ants. i rub it down the lines of my kitchen counters and no ants, no poison.

Return to Top
#966346 - 05/29/08 06:12 PM Re: Household tips! Bailey.
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Very cool!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#966349 - 05/29/08 06:15 PM Re: Household tips! Tigg
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'd always heard peppermint oil would keep mice away.

Return to Top
#966351 - 05/29/08 06:16 PM Re: Household tips! Retired DQ
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Beach Bum, East Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
DID YOU KNOW?
For a cool brownie treat, make brownies as directed. Melt Andes mints in double broiler and pour over warm brownies. Let set for a wonderful minty frosting.

Foggy Windshield?
Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car . When the window s fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!

Goodbye Fruit Flies
To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

Squirrel Away!
To keep squirrels from eating your plants, sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

I make really cool brownie treats, it's just not Andes mints that are in them!

I HATE foggy windshields too.. I always thought my shirt worked just fine in removing the fog!

I wonder if the Apple Cider Vineger will get rid of my pesky friends??? I often find them drawn into their cups/pints!

Seriously though, I can't wait to use cayenne pepper to see if my squirrels stay away from my plants

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2