Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1083189 - 11/18/08 06:51 AM California has.......
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
THEE best firefighters in the world!!!

Twice now in two months, these wind whipped wildfires came within a mile of where I live, not to mention many other raging brush fires in this state, and each time, these brave firefighters work TIRELESSLY to protect people and property and manage to do a tremendous job.

Unless you have been here during one of these, you cannot imagine the ferocity of those flames, especially when the hot Santa Ana's are blowing 50 to 70 miles per hour and whipping these flames all over the place.

It is like looking at Dante's Inferno, and yet these firefighters walk right to the edge and battle them.

I was amazed to hear that the cadaver-sniffing dogs found no evidence that anyone perished at the Oakridge Mobile Home. This was a very nice mobile home park but the units are/were very close together. Many of the residents are elderly and/or disabled and the firefighters were able to get EVERYONE evacuated to safety in the wee hours of the morning just moments before the fire came roaring through like an unstoppable train.

I might be considered a lunatic for saying this, but I will GLADLY pay more on my tax bill to ensure these folks get the support and equipment they need to do their job! I am sure the residents of Yorba Linda will want to make sure their water district will have the necessary infrastructure to deliver sufficient water pressure. While many people like to poke fun at the city of Los Angeles, I will say that the DWP has done their job and we have not experienced that kind of breakdown in the water delivery system.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1083254 - 11/18/08 02:05 PM Re: California has....... Princess Romeo
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Glad to hear that the fire didn't get any closer to you Bonnie! My cousin also lives in the area so I was paying attention to the news & I think that fire fighters did an excellent job in both fires at getting things under control quickly in nearly impossible circumstances.

Kudos to the firefighters!!

My husband is down in So Cal and was on the freeway when the Yorba linda fire was going and for a few minutes thought that he was going to be trapped between flames and the backup of cars behind him.

Return to Top
#1084625 - 11/19/08 11:13 PM Re: California has....... bOaty
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Glad to hear your husband was okay! I can think of few things more frightening than to be stuck in traffic on the freeway while a firestorm approaches.

Wonder if the city of Yorba Linda will now spend some money on water pumps!

I was watching a special on PBS about the status of the water infrastructure in our country. Very scary!

Return to Top