Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1143547 - 03/11/09 05:12 PM Back at it. Now what do we do?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Officials: Taliban's New Top Operations Officer Is Former Guantanamo Bay Detainee

WASHINGTON — The Taliban's new top operations officer in southern Afghanistan had been a prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay detention center, the latest example of a freed detainee who took a militant leadership role and a potential complication for the Obama administration's efforts to close the prison.
U.S. authorities handed over the detainee to the Afghan government, which in turn released him, according to Pentagon and CIA officials.

Abdullah Ghulam Rasoul, formerly Guantanamo prisoner No. 008, was among 13 Afghan prisoners released to the Afghan government in December 2007. Rasoul is now known as Mullah Abdullah Zakir, a nom de guerre that Pentagon and intelligence officials say is used by a Taliban leader who is in charge of operations against U.S. and Afghan forces in southern Afghanistan.

The officials, who spoke anonymously because they are not authorized to release the information, said Rasoul has joined a growing faction of former Guantanamo prisoners who have rejoined militant groups and taken action against U.S. interests. Pentagon officials have said that as many as 60 former detainees have resurfaced on foreign battlefields.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508506,00.html

So, do we still close Gitmo?

Why did they stop the trials?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1143601 - 03/11/09 06:11 PM Re: Back at it. Now what do we do? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
The officials, who spoke anonymously because they are not authorized to release the information,

Transparency?

Return to Top
#1143758 - 03/11/09 09:17 PM Re: Back at it. Now what do we do? HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
take less prisoners

Return to Top
#1143775 - 03/11/09 09:32 PM Re: Back at it. Now what do we do? Pale Rider
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster