Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1363958 - 03/25/10 05:00 PM Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME!!!! OUR LIFE IS LIVING PROOF!!!!

To Those of Us Born 1920 - 1965

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps
not helmets on our heads...

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.

And, we weren't overweight.. WHY? Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..
No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps
and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

~The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1363962 - 03/25/10 05:03 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Miss Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger

(except for the paint chips and paste that I ate, that may have messed with me)

Return to Top
#1363964 - 03/25/10 05:04 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Miss Banker
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
It's a great sentiment, but what age group do ya think made the changes?

Return to Top
#1363966 - 03/25/10 05:05 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Miss Banker
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Well, I was born after 1965, but a lot of that still applies to me smile

Return to Top
#1363970 - 03/25/10 05:08 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Becka Marr
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I would start witht he Age of Enlightenment...

Return to Top
#1363988 - 03/25/10 05:22 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End The Minion
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: MariasMinion
It's a great sentiment, but what age group do ya think made the changes?
How old are Pelosi and Reid?

Seriously, you are correct. Blame can only be placed squarely on the shoulders of all of us who have let ourselves be manipulated by half-truths (or outright lies) presented as facts on television and newspapers by disingenuous writers/producers/newscasters/politicians whose main agenda was to liberalize several generations of Americans so they themselves would not feel stigmatized for what ever dirty little secrets were hiding in their closets.

Return to Top
#1364005 - 03/25/10 05:36 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End YosemiteSamIAm
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
shoot, I missed most of that!

Return to Top
#1364018 - 03/25/10 05:48 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Pale Rider
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Yup - you were born before all of these whistle

Return to Top
#1364021 - 03/25/10 05:49 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Snow Bunny
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Even the Enlightenment? whistle

Return to Top
#1364025 - 03/25/10 05:52 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Retired DQ
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I will enlighten both of ya!

Return to Top
#1364076 - 03/25/10 06:23 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Becka Marr
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
Well, I was born after 1965, but a lot of that still applies to me smile

Me too.

Return to Top
#1364115 - 03/25/10 06:36 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End QCL
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
To those of us born in the 80s ...

Return to Top
#1364118 - 03/25/10 06:38 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End Miss Banker
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Miss Banker
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

I have three sisters. When we all got to the age where it would be possible for us to spend the night in jail for breaking a law, he told us in no uncertain terms that if we did get arrested he would NOT be rushing down to bail us out and to expect to sit our hinneys in jail until the next day. My sister and her boyfriend were busted one night when she was 18 (I can't remember what for) and sure enough, my dad let her sit in jail overnight! He went and got her the next day but to this day she's never really gotten over the fact that he let her spend the night in jail (and she's 57 now)! I think it is hilarious!!

Return to Top
#1364124 - 03/25/10 06:41 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End QCL
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Me too! This was more about remembering those dangerous good times we survived had as kids, than how many (not all, so if this is not you, please don't bash me) people of our generation(s) are now raising what is turning out to be the generation of the most self-entitled kids and young adults.

And again, the quote at the end talking about how now may not be the best time to remove God from the Pledge considering the discussion around here the other day. smile
Last edited by Miss Banker; 03/25/10 06:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1364135 - 03/25/10 06:45 PM Re: Appropriate Considering the Quote at the End StarryNight
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Originally Posted By: StarryNight
To those of us born in the 80s ...

... we are not ruining the world! a lot of those great things apply to my childhood too smile

Return to Top