Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1395975 - 05/25/10 08:08 PM 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Anybody seen this one? Being an OU fan and Ricky being a UT alum, i was never a particular fan. Watching this gave me a little more insight into what kinda guy he is. I came away with a new appreciation for him and while i'm not a big NFL fan (much more into the college game), i will root for him to do well. He seems like a very intelligent, caring individual who has a lot of depth to him.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1396081 - 05/25/10 09:43 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams raitchjay
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
Wow, that's not the reaction I'd expect from an OU fan. I have not seen this one but I have really enjoyed the 30 for 30 films and this review really makes me want to see this one. The little I know of Ricky makes me feel like he wasted a lot of his talent. I guess this movie tells the other side, so to speak.

Return to Top
#1396092 - 05/25/10 10:03 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams Confused Banker
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I was shocked too......Ricky just struck me as a fully realized human being in it....i really kinda admire him now. Very worth watching (and i need to watch the whole thing, i missed parts of it).

Return to Top
#1396202 - 05/26/10 01:47 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams raitchjay
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
As someone who picked him up on his fantasy football team, I kinda like Ricky Williams, too. smile

Even having not seen this film, I've always liked him. At first, he was "different". Then, I saw him as a wasted talent, like most of the football fans in the country. I've seen interviews and read articles here and there, and you can see that he is making decisions and he speaks with a confidence, not just confidence in his talents like he used to, but a confidence in his choices and his life.

I am an OU fan, too. We're not all anti-UT for life. Once UT players graduate, some of us wish them well. smile

Return to Top
#1396208 - 05/26/10 01:51 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams Pup
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I guess originally, i just didn't know much about him. And since he was a UT guy, it's not like i was gonna pick him to be a fan of. I think in general i admire people who don't seek the world's approval, but have the confidence to be their own person and believe what they believe, even if the world is mocking them. He seemed like the kind of guy i would enjoy having a conversation with and the kind of guy who values truth, however painful or unwelcome that truth might be.

Return to Top
#1396296 - 05/26/10 03:07 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams raitchjay
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Good call, Jay. As an OU fan, I'd be willing to bet that you were/are a big fan of another player you're not supposed to be a fan of.......Barry Sanders.

I've recently become a fan of Will Shields. As a Broncos fan, this is not supposed to happen! He is from Lawton (where I now reside). Years ago, he nominated a teacher from Lawton to be the NFL Teacher of the Year, and she won. She and her family are our neighbors. Her husband passed away last Monday, and his funeral was on Friday. Will was the last person to leave the house Friday evening and sat with the family at the funeral. His humility and compassion humbled me.

Superstars are people, too. We often forget that.

I am a pool player. The picture in my avatar is MY pool hall...I own it and operate it when I leave the bank. In July of last year, we hosted Mike Massey, world-renowned pool trick-shot artist. He stayed at our home for 3 days, and I can say the same for him. He is truly a beautiful person.

Return to Top
#1396316 - 05/26/10 03:22 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams Pup
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Watts, easy to support for Texans, given his right thinking...

Return to Top
#1396318 - 05/26/10 03:23 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams Pup
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Yes, also a fan of Barry Sanders. Know very little of Will Shields, except that he is, as you say, from Lawton and played at Nebraska. He sounds like a great guy. I actually shot some pool yesterday.....a younger guy that i work with and i will maybe one day a week go to this new hamburger joint that has a pool room and play during our lunch period. Have seen Mike Massey (i enjoy watching pool on TV, particularly the women). Heck, i grew up a huge fan of Ben Crenshaw....didn't realize for a good time that he went to UT. Once i figured it out, it was too late to change my opinion wink. I really highly recommend the ESPN piece on Ricky.....for anyone who is or isn't a fan. You may or may not find yourself on his side, but i think you have to admire somebody who, with millions of dollars and fame staring at you, makes the search for truth their primary mission.

Return to Top
#1396323 - 05/26/10 03:28 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams Pale Rider
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Pale
Watts, easy to support for Texans, given his right thinking...

Heard J.C. Watts speak before he got into natl. politics.....absolutely great motivational speaker.

Return to Top
#1396359 - 05/26/10 03:55 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams raitchjay
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Ricky is a lunatic, plain and simple.

Fully realized human? No

Drug addled, confused, lost, stoned - perhaps

Return to Top
#1396373 - 05/26/10 04:05 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams doobydoobydoo
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I guess you can think he's a lunatic if you want.....a lunatic to me is someone who never speaks sense....that doesnt' apply to Ricky, IMO.

Return to Top
#1396545 - 05/26/10 06:41 PM Re: 30 for 30 ESPN/Ricky Williams raitchjay
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Mike Tyson=lunatic.

No comparison.

Return to Top