BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1620177 - 10/26/11 02:56 PM PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights
A_G Offline
10K Club
PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal court is being asked to grant constitutional rights to five killer whales who perform at marine parks — an unprecedented and perhaps quixotic legal action that is nonetheless likely to stoke an ongoing, intense debate at America's law schools over expansion of animal rights.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is accusing the SeaWorld parks of keeping five star-performer whales in conditions that violate the 13th Amendment ban on slavery. SeaWorld depicted the suit as baseless.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1620210 - 10/26/11 03:17 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights A_G
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
some people have WAY too much spare time.

ETA: I mean the PETA freaks, not you. wink
Last edited by RR Becca; 10/26/11 03:17 PM.

Return to Top
#1620246 - 10/26/11 03:49 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights RR Becca
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Wouldn't the 13th Amendment prohibit PETA from enslaving themselves to their own bleeding hearts and need for attention? smirk

Return to Top
#1620258 - 10/26/11 04:05 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights GuitarDude
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
AG, I am sorry, but your story made me LOL. laugh

Return to Top
#1620278 - 10/26/11 04:17 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights GuitarDude
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
If the whales have the legal standing to be plaintiffs in this suit, then the one should also be indicted for murder.

Return to Top
#1620283 - 10/26/11 04:20 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights MyBrainHurts
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
c'mon Fitz! Manslaughter at most!

Return to Top
#1620285 - 10/26/11 04:23 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
Wear hemp, not fur!

Return to Top
#1620286 - 10/26/11 04:23 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Pale Rider
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
I would think any lawyer who is at least semi-competent would be able to blow holes all through PETA's case...

Return to Top
#1620287 - 10/26/11 04:26 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Bobby Boucher
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
...but I think PETA is simply trying to orca-strate yet another publicity stunt.

Return to Top
#1620289 - 10/26/11 04:28 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Bobby Boucher
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe, who in past writings has proposed extending legal standing to chimpanzees, also expressed doubt that the courts were ready to apply the 13th Amendment to animals.

Similar to another Harvard Prof who decided that banks are evil(by using government approved disclosures).

CAMS

Return to Top
#1620293 - 10/26/11 04:32 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights MyBrainHurts
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: KFitz
If the whales have the legal standing to be plaintiffs in this suit, then the one should also be indicted for murder.

The trial will need to be at seaworld because of the Sixth Amendment states, “In all criminal prosecutions the accused shall enjoy the right … to be confronted with the witnesses against him."

Ok Mr Orca talk. smirk

CAMS

Return to Top
#1620302 - 10/26/11 04:38 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
and Hall and Oate's "She's a Maneater..." will be the background music Nancy Grace plays on every intro when she gets worked up about this important case...

As long as they don't say that cows are covered, I don't really care...just don't touch my ability to have a delectible, well done, tasty steak...

Return to Top
#1620303 - 10/26/11 04:38 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
As I have mentioned, my dad is a veterinatian. I grew up around and loving animals and I am for the ethical treatment of animals, but this is an insult to the people that wrote one of the most important documents in history. I truly hope a judge chews them up and spits them out for wasting the courts time. If the animals are mistreated, there are legal means already in place to achieve their release. This is just stupid.

Turkey anyone? smile

Return to Top
#1620325 - 10/26/11 04:50 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Bankbb1, PITA
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Well said BB1.

Return to Top
#1620338 - 10/26/11 05:09 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Snow Bunny
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
I love animals. I believe they should be treated humanely. Do I think they are people? No. Simply put, there are rights and priveledges afforded to people that simply cannot and should not be afforded to animals.

As a vegetarian, (for health reasons, though,) I appreciate PETA for the vegetarian recipes they have available on their website. Otherwise? They are bat-sh** crazy.

Return to Top
#1620352 - 10/26/11 05:27 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Bobby Boucher
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
...but I think PETA is simply trying to orca-strate yet another publicity stunt.

Post of the day! laugh

Return to Top
#1620382 - 10/26/11 05:57 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights CheshireAliCat
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: CheshireAliCat
I appreciate PETA for the vegetarian recipes they have available on their website. Otherwise? They are bat-sh** crazy.

werd.

They're going to have a whale of a time getting this measure passed...

Return to Top
#1620383 - 10/26/11 05:58 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights GuitarDude
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Post of the day! laugh

Seriously, very well done, Sir.

Return to Top
#1620391 - 10/26/11 06:11 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights CheshireAliCat
A_G Offline
10K Club
I love animals. I believe they should be treated humanely. Do I think they are people? No. Simply put, there are rights and priveledges afforded to people that simply cannot and should not be afforded to animals.

As a vegetarian, (for health reasons, though,) I appreciate PETA for the vegetarian recipes they have available on their website. Otherwise? They are bat-sh** crazy.

Well said!!!

And with that, "I'd rather go naked than wear fur." laugh

Return to Top
#1620400 - 10/26/11 06:24 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights A_G
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™

Well said!!!

And with that, "I'd rather go naked than wear fur cause that's how I roll wink ." laugh

Fixed

wink

Return to Top
#1620428 - 10/26/11 06:43 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights Snow Bunny
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The trial would be a Sham - you all!

Return to Top
#1620429 - 10/26/11 06:45 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

Well said!!!

And with that, "I'd rather go naked than wear because I have so much back hair everyone thinks it is fur." laugh

really fixed

Return to Top
#1620430 - 10/26/11 06:46 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights HappyGilmore
A_G Offline
10K Club
<---- isn't Peepers!

Return to Top
#1620480 - 10/26/11 07:19 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights A_G
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Are you Sure?

Is today your birthday?

Again?

smirk

Return to Top
#1620481 - 10/26/11 07:19 PM Re: PETA lawsuit seeks to expand animal rights A_G
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder

Well said!!!

And with that, "I'd rather go naked than wear fur." laugh

Good point AG.

As a male, (for obvious reasons,) I appreciate PETA for the ad campaigns featuring various attractive females in the nude. Otherwise? They are bat-sh** crazy.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2