Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1960029 - 09/08/14 04:28 PM Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy died early Monday at 93. The billionaire rose from poverty by building a privately held restaurant chain that famously closes every Sunday.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1960033 - 09/08/14 04:35 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Yeah, at 1:15 this morning. Great guy! (My sister's father in law is Truett's property manager in Daytona) She get's to stay in one of his beach houses each summer.

RIP Mr. Cathy.

Return to Top
#1960036 - 09/08/14 04:45 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy died early Monday at 93. The billionaire rose from poverty by building a privately held restaurant chain that famously closes every Sunday.

i believe the proper phrase is they don't open on sunday, not that they famously close... grin

Return to Top
#1960047 - 09/08/14 04:52 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
He was the keynote speaker at my daughter's college graduation from Charleston Southern University in 2010. At 88, he wasn't the most dynamic personality anymore, but you could tell there was a ton of business wisdom packed in his head. RIP, Mr. Cathy and may your legacy as a man of principle and faith endure for many years to come.

Return to Top
#1960118 - 09/08/14 06:39 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
He left a wonderful legacy for his family....He lived by his principles, something that seems rare these days.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1960156 - 09/08/14 07:50 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
So sad.

Return to Top
#1960172 - 09/08/14 08:17 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
We need more like him.

A lot more.

Return to Top
#1960189 - 09/08/14 08:39 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I suppose not everyone liked him, but I admired the man. I hope the company continues to do well and holds the principles.

Return to Top
#1960196 - 09/08/14 08:45 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Bankbb1, PITA
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Bloomberg has a good article on him: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-08...dies-at-93.html

RIP, Mr. Cathy. A man of great talent, dedication, charity, and principle.

Return to Top
#1960207 - 09/08/14 09:00 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace noelekal
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: noelekal
We need more like him.

A lot more.

Restauranteurs who are not open on Sundays?

Return to Top
#1960211 - 09/08/14 09:06 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Xian Ngyuen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Xian Ngyuen
We need more like him.

A lot more.

Restaurants may not open on Sundays not Restauranteurs.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960230 - 09/08/14 09:51 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Sinatra Fan
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
We need more like him.

A lot more.

We could argue over the use of the word "need" (or, perhaps over its definition), but I dare say yes. (IMO, of course)

Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
RIP, Mr. Cathy. A man of great talent, dedication, charity, and principle.

Wait, you mean he was more than just a restauranteur who didn't open on Sundays? Well, that's cool too.
Last edited by Bobby Boucher; 09/08/14 09:53 PM.

Return to Top
#1960252 - 09/09/14 11:57 AM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Xian Ngyuen
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
We need more like him.

A lot more.

Yes, we need a lot more businesses of all kinds that do not open on Sundays. That would not be a bad thing. It used to be quite the norm and I would contend that in many aspects our society was in better shape than it is today. But I'm verging on going all religion and politics and we can't be having any of that now, can we?

Return to Top
#1960253 - 09/09/14 12:09 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"But I'm verging on going all religion and politics and we can't be having any of that now, can we?"

That may have been the reason for the post.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960264 - 09/09/14 12:37 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
growing up, Sunday was reserved for dinners at Grandma's house...many memorable sundays with my multitude of cousins running amok in her backyard...i can think of a handful of times my parents let us eat fast food, just not something that was prevalent back then...was the very rare treat, not the norm it has become today.

Return to Top
#1960280 - 09/09/14 01:16 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
growing up, Sunday was reserved for dinners at Grandma's house...many memorable sundays with my multitude of cousins running amok in her backyard...i can think of a handful of times my parents let us eat fast food, just not something that was prevalent back then...was the very rare treat, not the norm it has become today.

Same here... Used to gather at my grandparent every Sunday. Some great BBQ, Grilling, etc. Lot of games and playing. Ah, good times, good times. smile

Return to Top
#1960284 - 09/09/14 01:32 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Yeah, DD Regs!

That's what I'm remembering too. Lots of good times at grandparents with cousins galore to get up to mischief with.

Fast foods? Not so much. A few on the fringes of Fort Worth, Texas in the early 1960s but we didn't frequent them. The local places offered better food, probably about as fast.

Return to Top
#1960308 - 09/09/14 02:04 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
A few on the fringes of Fort Worth, Texas in the early 1960s but we didn't frequent them. The local places offered better food, probably about as fast.

i'm originally a Ft Worth boy myself...I'll take a Kincaid's over fast food anyday...

Return to Top
#1960340 - 09/09/14 02:44 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
I knew I liked you for some reason!

We did Kincades, the Clover drive-in (both on Berry St. and on Rosedale, Pig Stand on W. 7th, Carnation Ice Cream also on W. 7th and a place called Weldon's on Bishop St.(before it turned into a bar). Also did barbeque at any of several places but can't recall the names. One was on White Settlement Road but don't recall that it was Angelo's. First pizza I remember having was as a small kid at a local place on Camp Bowie.

There only were a few chain fast food places that I remember and my parents never took us to them.

There was a tiny Dairy Queen on Bishop with walk-up window only, a straggling McDonalds way out on East Lancaster that no one patronized, an A&W on Wichita, and later on a few Mr. Quicks came in. By the mid-1960s I do recall occasionally going to a Mr. Quicks. Seems like burgers were .25 or five for a dollar.

We were all having a late night hamburger, sitting at the tables provided outside at a Mr. Quicks on E. Lancaster one time about 1965 and got to witness a fairly bad wreck but humorous (in a poetic justice sort of way).

There was a black '56 Chevy hardtop sitting in front of the line of traffic in the south bound lane of Riverside Drive at the intersection with E. Lancaster. Now this car must have been well "juiced up" and it's driver very proud of it. He sat there gunning the engine loudly. When the light changed he "showered down on it" popping the clutch in order to make a proper "display of speed" and to burn some rubber out of the intersection. Only thing is, the car got out from under him and actually ran right up a power pole, climbing it right in front of our eyes, making a big crunching boom and showering the intersection with glass and pieces.

This was immediately seized upon and used as an object lesson by my dad, in anticipation of my taking up driving in coming years.

We won't mention details of the displays of speed and rubber left all over the streets of North Texas the early 1970s, from behind a 375hp 440 V8. Stayed away from power poles though.

To bring this tortured post from down memory lane and back around in the direction of the subject at hand, I'd forgotten the Chick-Fil-A within the Seminary South mall. I suppose it was there as far back as 1961 when the mall opened. We never ate there either. I only ever ate at my first Chick-Fil-A after the brouhaha of a couple years back, in support of 'em.
Last edited by noelekal; 09/09/14 02:50 PM.

Return to Top
#1960348 - 09/09/14 03:06 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
One was on White Settlement Road but don't recall that it was Angelo's. First pizza I remember having was as a small kid at a local place on Camp Bowie.

Angelo's is the only one I know on White Settlement. Pizza place on Camp Bowie was like Pi-R Squared (using the Pi symbol which i can't make on ths keyboard). There was another pizza place (called something-Palace) that had a ton of games, showed movies on multiple screens, each room was a different theme. There was also a drive in around 9th that the food was brought out on small trains right to your car (wish i could remember the name)

There was the dairy queen on Bluebonnet Circle that is now a Mellow Mushroom.

First chick-fil-a i recall was at the "newly opened" Hulen Mall in the late 70s, i went to school with the girl whose dad was the manager.

Return to Top
#1960353 - 09/09/14 03:18 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

We did Kincades, the Clover drive-in (both on Berry St. and on Rosedale, Pig Stand on W. 7th, Carnation Ice Cream also on W. 7th and a place called Weldon's on Bishop St.(before it turned into a bar). Also did barbeque at any of several places but can't recall the names. One was on White Settlement Road but don't recall that it was Angelo's. First pizza I remember having was as a small kid at a local place on Camp Bowie.

There only were a few chain fast food places that I remember and my parents never took us to them.

There was a tiny Dairy Queen on Bishop with walk-up window only, a straggling McDonalds way out on East Lancaster that no one patronized, an A&W on Wichita, and later on a few Mr. Quicks came in. By the mid-1960s I do recall occasionally going to a Mr. Quicks. Seems like burgers were .25 or five for a dollar.

We were all having a late night hamburger, sitting at the tables provided outside at a Mr. Quicks on E. Lancaster one time about 1965 and got to witness a fairly bad wreck but humorous (in a poetic justice sort of way).

There was a black '56 Chevy hardtop sitting in front of the line of traffic in the south bound lane of Riverside Drive at the intersection with E. Lancaster. Now this car must have been well "juiced up" and it's driver very proud of it. He sat there gunning the engine loudly. When the light changed he "showered down on it" popping the clutch in order to make a proper "display of speed" and to burn some rubber out of the intersection. Only thing is, the car got out from under him and actually ran right up a power pole, climbing it right in front of our eyes, making a big crunching boom and showering the intersection with glass and pieces.

This was immediately seized upon and used as an object lesson by my dad, in anticipation of my taking up driving in coming years.

We won't mention details of the displays of speed and rubber left all over the streets of North Texas the early 1970s, from behind a 375hp 440 V8. Stayed away from power poles though.

To bring this tortured post from down memory lane and back around in the direction of the subject at hand, I'd forgotten the Chick-Fil-A within the Seminary South mall. I suppose it was there as far back as 1961 when the mall opened. We never ate there either. I only ever ate at my first Chick-Fil-A after the brouhaha of a couple years back, in support of 'em.

So the teaching was 56 Chevys do not handle well off the line but the 70s Chrysler products gave a much better off the line performance. got it.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960355 - 09/09/14 03:21 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Oh dear. Other than the odd pin ball machine in the back of a place, there were no games, movies and such in restaurants way back when I was a kid.

"...ton of games, showed movies on multiple screens, each room was a different theme."

You may be recalling Crystal's Pizza on Camp Bowie, pretty far out, but not quite to Neiman Marcus and on the same side of the street. We use to go there on occasion up through early marriage.

Return to Top
#1960358 - 09/09/14 03:26 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace edAudit
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By: edAudit

So the teaching was 56 Chevys do not handle well off the line but the 70s Chrysler products gave a much better off the line performance. got it.

Something like that, only the Torqueflite automatic coupled with Chrysler's Sure-Grip differential (their version of GM's "Posi-track") didn't completely insure control. If romped on hard so that the tires would "bust loose," the car would torque sideways to the right before launching. The tendency bore watching out for.

Return to Top
#1960418 - 09/09/14 04:31 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
That is why they invented a "full" posi that can be found instead of the Sure grip which was a limited slip. The full posi was not as good for cornering (or driving on leaves).

My issue was that the motor mounts would bust loose as easy as the tires.(my daughter is not on this thread)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960420 - 09/09/14 04:33 PM Re: Chick-fil-A founder dies, Rest in peace noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Oh dear. Other than the odd pin ball machine in the back of a place, there were no games, movies and such in restaurants way back when I was a kid.

"...ton of games, showed movies on multiple screens, each room was a different theme."

You may be recalling Crystal's Pizza on Camp Bowie, pretty far out, but not quite to Neiman Marcus and on the same side of the street. We use to go there on occasion up through early marriage.

that's it - Crystal Palace

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2