Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1983496 - 12/16/14 08:58 PM Your all-electric car may not be so green...
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Been saying this for years:

Study: Your all-electric car may not be so green

If your all-electric car gets its power from coal, new study says it is dirtier than gasoline

WASHINGTON (AP) -- People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power may think they are helping the environment. But a new study finds their vehicles actually make the air dirtier, worsening global warming.

Ethanol isn't so green, either.

"It's kind of hard to beat gasoline" for public and environmental health, said study co-author Julian Marshall, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota. "A lot of the technologies that we think of as being clean ... are not better than gasoline."

The key is where the source of the electricity all-electric cars. If it comes from coal, the electric cars produce 3.6 times more soot and smog deaths than gas, because of the pollution made in generating the electricity, according to the study that is published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. They also are significantly worse at heat-trapping carbon dioxide that worsens global warming, it found.

The study examines environmental costs for cars' entire life cycle, including where power comes from and the environmental effects of building batteries.

"Unfortunately, when a wire is connected to an electric vehicle at one end and a coal-fired power plant at the other end, the environmental consequences are worse than driving a normal gasoline-powered car," said Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution for Science, who wasn't part of the study but praised it.

The states with the highest percentage of electricity coming from coal, according to the Department of Energy, are West Virginia, Wyoming, Ohio, North Dakota, and Illinois.

Still, there's something to be said for the idea of helping foster a cleaner technology that will be better once it is connected to a cleaner grid, said study co-author Jason Hill, another University of Minnesota engineering professor.

The study finds all-electric vehicles cause 86 percent more deaths from air pollution than do cars powered by regular gasoline. Coal produces 39 percent of the country's electricity, according to the Department of Energy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/study-electric-car-may-not-114859842.html

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1983500 - 12/16/14 09:00 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
So 'coal can kill you' should be in the thread over --->>>?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1983503 - 12/16/14 09:03 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Actually, so your Tesla can kill you in more ways than one could be over there as well. Heh.

Return to Top
#1983505 - 12/16/14 09:06 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
eek

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1983509 - 12/16/14 09:12 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
So the Prius' are Rollin' Coal. Interesting.

Return to Top
#1983516 - 12/16/14 09:29 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Your are not being fair to the poor defenseless people who stand to make tons of money over the sale of carbon credits.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1983518 - 12/16/14 09:30 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Heh ... heh ... heh !!!

Return to Top
#1983525 - 12/16/14 09:34 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
This makes me smirk

Return to Top
#1983534 - 12/16/14 10:13 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
People are documented as actually dying due to coal-fired generation plants in this nation?

Return to Top
#1983535 - 12/16/14 10:21 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
yes didn't Cher win a Oscar for one? Coal... nuclear the same thing. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1983578 - 12/17/14 01:15 PM Re: Your all-electric car may not be so green... Hobbes
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My Prius is not all electric and does not plug in. I do have a second battery that kicks in when the car is idling or running and parked.

Return to Top