Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2133644 - 06/08/17 09:56 PM Louisville
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Since we have a couple vacation threads going, I start one for our trip. My wife, daughter, son and daughter-in-law are going to Louisville for five days in August. We're celebrating a significant number birthday for my wife, and Louisville about equal driving distance for all of us, plus we like bourbon.

I'd like tips on the best distillery tours, microbreweries and restaurants. Don't suggest really expensive restaurants because somehow I always end up with the check. We passed through and saw the bat factory once, so we can skip that, but we're open to other interesting sights.

We're staying a house rented through Airbnb just off Bardstown Road, in the Deer Park neighborhood.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2133662 - 06/09/17 12:07 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
MBH - There is the waterfront area downtown - and you can walk across a bridge over the Ohio River (no vehicle traffic any longer) to Southern Indiana. The view of Louisville from the Indiana side is nice. If the local baseball team is playing (The Bats) the stadium is down on the river. There is a Joe's Crab Shack on the Louisville side - and a couple of restaurants on the Indiana side.

It will be warm and humid this time of year.

Return to Top
#2133699 - 06/09/17 03:15 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Maker's Mark isn't far from Louisville and has a good tour.

Return to Top
#2133712 - 06/09/17 03:48 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My only suggestion would be to not attempt to pronounce Louisville in front of anyone actually from Louisville as you will surely pronounce it incorrectly. laugh

Return to Top
#2133735 - 06/09/17 05:01 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Being from that area - I'm certain you are correct, Thomas.

Return to Top
#2133746 - 06/09/17 05:33 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I look into Maker's Mark. The bridge sounds interesting, though I don't know if my wife will like it. She's funny about bridges over water. I'll be sure to clearly pronounce the S in Louisville as any good Yankee would.

Return to Top
#2133754 - 06/09/17 05:40 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The 'new' bridge doesn't really have any sides to it - and costs $4.00 to cross (they send you a bill by reading your license plate).

Return to Top
#2133797 - 06/09/17 08:33 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
if your wife is having a significant number birthday, you must go to the slugger plant...then you can give her one made with her name on it and say "one old bat for another old bat" or words to that effect.

I am not responsible for any damages that occur from either of the old bats!

Return to Top
#2133810 - 06/09/17 09:53 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I think I'll pass on that. She's played enough ball in her day that she could probably swing that thing and not miss.

Return to Top
#2133826 - 06/10/17 04:03 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Given your interests, the Kentucky Bourbon Trail is worth investigating. Even if you horse racing is not your thing, Churchill Downs has a great, modern museum and is worth visiting. The Falls of the Ohio across the river in Indiana are fascinating in terms of natural history and their role in the making of the city.

I don't want to make your wife think you're trying to get rid of her, but sometimes we walk across the Big Four Bridge to Indiana just to get a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning, it's not a big deal. (As it used to be a railroad bridge, it's pretty sturdy.) For others who have not been, the Slugger Museum is interesting even if you think baseball could bore the bark off a tree. I have not been recently, but The Kentucky Show is a fascinating introduction to the Bluegrass state. A ride on the Belle of Louisville is big fun...for about 20 minutes, then it gets pretty tedious.

My restaurant recommendations would match those on Trip Advisor , but I would draw your attention to "Mussel & Burger" if you like either. Best fish sandwich in The 'Ville is "The Fishery."

Welcome!

Return to Top
#2133837 - 06/12/17 10:24 AM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
My wife, daughter, son and daughter-in-law are going to Louisville for five days in August.

And your vacation is staying home away from them?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2133870 - 06/12/17 02:41 PM Re: Louisville Elwood P. Dowd
mkp122 Offline
100 Club
NJ
I did the Woodford Reserve bourbon tour. Loved it and I'm not a bourbon fan.

Return to Top
#2141178 - 08/08/17 01:23 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Just back from Louisville. My son and daughter decided that we need to hit all ten distilleries on the bourbon trail so that we could get the t-shirt. We somehow made it to all ten, plus Buffalo Trace, which is not on the "trail." We toured Makers Mark, Evan Williams, and Angels Envy and did tastings at Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace. We did a self-directed tasting at Bulleit by buying a small bottle in the gift shop and finding a picnic table on the grounds. We also walked around Churchill Downs. We didn't take the tour at the bat factory because we could see everything through the windows. But we went in and hit balls in the batting cages. When my wife was batting, the machine threw a high inside pitch that nearly took her head off. We have a great video of her leaning back at the last moment and the ball zipping by her chin.
On the whole, we liked Louisville very much. Traffic was always light, even on Monday morning. Lots of beautiful historic homes and great architecture all around town. Our favorite restaurant was the Dragon King's Daughter, although the hot browns at the Brown Hotel were good, too.
Thanks for the tips.

Return to Top
#2141183 - 08/08/17 02:00 PM Re: Louisville MyBrainHurts
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Sounds fun!

Return to Top