Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2239270 - 07/08/20 07:07 PM New Laptop PC - Any recommendations?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
So, next Friday is my last day at this bank, and coincidentally my home pc is getting old and slow, so I need to buy a new laptop.

Anyone have any recommendations on what they've had good luck with? My old work one was a Dell Latitude, but they're getting a little long in the tooth and my new work one is an HP that is OK, but curious about what others may recommend or not recommend.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2239272 - 07/08/20 07:25 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Funny MB - I was just talking to our IT department and one of the gentlemen I was speaking to recommended the Dell Latitude also. I will say that we personally bought a Dell a few weeks ago and within a week had to return it. The screen went out.

So it seems congratulations are in order. Are you changing banks or careers?

Return to Top
#2239277 - 07/08/20 08:03 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
my son has had an Apple MacBook Pro for about 6 years, still runs great and loves it

Return to Top
#2239279 - 07/08/20 08:11 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
I have had a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for 5 years and never an issue. It is still almost as fast as the day I bought it.

Return to Top
#2239284 - 07/08/20 08:28 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Thanks Skittles. If I did do a Latitude, I'd definitely get the extended warranty from Dell, so that's still in the running.

Eh, not sure I want an Apple product for work-related stuff (I do a side-business and use it for bookkeeping and taxes as well and I'm just not used to the Apple applications).

Interesting PP, I'll look into one of those.

Regarding work Skittles, not sure right now what I plan to do. They gave those of us let go a decent severance package, so I'm exploring compliance consulting, maybe banking outside compliance, plus maybe something else. Trying to see what will fit me going forward. I should have probably moved from my bank years ago as it wasn't a great fit for a while, but the right opportunity was never there, but I'm looking at this as God's way of giving me a gift for a potential move. He's always provided for me and always in ways I wasn't expecting or looking for, so this might be one of those situations again. Thanks for asking.

Return to Top
#2239287 - 07/08/20 08:37 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You are correct - God knows what he is doing. Please keep us posted!

Return to Top
#2239288 - 07/08/20 08:41 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I have a .......desktop computer. That's literally all i know about my computer at home.

Best of luck to you MB.

Return to Top
#2239295 - 07/08/20 09:18 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Thank you Skittles and raitchjay, appreciate it.

Return to Top
#2239296 - 07/08/20 09:21 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
My work laptop is a Dell (not sure which model). It has been very reliable. My previous personal laptop was a Dell Latitude (refurbished) and the hard drive died. But once I replaced it with a SSD, it has been great. I use it for secondary stuff like viewing long webinars while working. My current personal laptop is an Acer Aspire and it has been pretty good.

My main recommendation would be: 1) go for more RAM vs. processor speed if you're not doing processing-related things like video editing; and 2) try to get a solid state drive rather than a conventional hard drive.

Return to Top
#2239300 - 07/08/20 09:56 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
my son has had an Apple MacBook Pro for about 6 years, still runs great and loves it

Apple is going away from the Intel processor ang going to ARM.

When the switch happens there will be little support for the intel machines.

Personal recommendation get the cheapest one that does what you want it to,

3 years ago spent a ton of money on a laptop only to have it die. Last year bought a $350, HP and it is twice as fast as the 3 year old one. Just back up your work on an exterior drive just in case.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2239302 - 07/08/20 11:55 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman

Apple is going away from the Intel processor ang going to ARM.

When the switch happens there will be little support for the intel machines.

Ditto on that - I'm using a 2014 MacBook Pro and it's awesome. I have never needed any support for it and don't expect to before I ultimately break down and buy a new one. My only nit to pick at the moment is that Zoom requires a quad core processor to use its "virtual background" feature, unless you want to put a "green screen" behind you. So people get to see my home office when I'm on Zoom meetings.

The downside is that you'll spend a lot more on a Mac than you would on a comparable non-apple product. But for my money, it's totally worth it.

Return to Top
#2239308 - 07/09/20 01:32 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I have an HP elitebook for work and it does a good job. I also have an HP for home - like them both.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2239360 - 07/09/20 07:34 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? waldensouth
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted by waldensouth
I have an HP elitebook for work and it does a good job. I also have an HP for home - like them both.

Hey, me too! laugh

Return to Top
#2239382 - 07/10/20 12:24 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
I didn't know that HP made an abacus. smirk laugh

Return to Top
#2239383 - 07/10/20 12:27 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
work is a Lenovo Thinkpad, personal is a Asus for a laptop and an HP for a desktop. Kids and grandkids have gone to Apple.

Return to Top
#2239384 - 07/10/20 12:36 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? Purple Pride
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted by Purple Pride

::kick:: smile

Return to Top
#2239436 - 07/10/20 09:38 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? Retired DQ
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted by DeeQ
Originally Posted by Purple Pride

::kick:: smile

Genesis made Abacab. INXS made "Kick". smirk

I had an HP laptop back in the day (Windows XP) is it was pretty reliable.

Return to Top
#2239437 - 07/10/20 09:40 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
...and it was pretty reliable.

Return to Top
#2239455 - 07/13/20 01:31 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
My knowledge is very limited, but I have an HP desktop at the office, I have an HP desktop at home. Both are great. The home HP is 12 years old but still does everything I need it to do (mostly just spreadsheets and word processing, with some internet browsing here and there) - sometimes the Internet lags, but that seems reasonable to me. My wife bought an HP laptop a couple years ago and it was unusable. Boot time just to start up was better than 10 minutes and any applications she tried to open was just as bad or worse, and Internet usage was out of the question. I took it to a friend who happens to work on computers. He said the ahgpoai was knocked out of alignment, probably during shipping. And that causing issues with alks; which wasn't communicating with the alkj;sah. After he changed all that it works great!

Long story short, I like HP.

Return to Top
#2239575 - 07/14/20 06:33 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Congrat.

Once you decide, places with good prices are Sams and Costco. Great selection at BH Photo Video in NYC. They underpromise and overdeliver, and they pay the sales tax.

Return to Top
#2239699 - 07/16/20 06:27 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My work computer was upgraded to a Macbook Pro about a year and a half ago and initially I was not happy about it, but after the learning curve it's OK. It runs Word, Excel, Power Point and other MS applications just fine.

Prior to that I had a Lenovo Think Pad for work that worked great as well. I did end up buying my daughter a regular Lenovo laptop that did not last - though it may be a reflection on how hard she is on electronics rather than the brand.

For my personal laptop I have a chromebook that is probably 5 or 6 years old and does everything I need it to (Boots up quickly and is very simple to use). The only thing is that it's outlived its support window and receives no further updates from Google.

Return to Top
#2239854 - 07/20/20 06:09 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
I don't have a home laptop. Home computer is an Acer that was upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 and is horrible. I try to stay off it and do stuff on my ipad or phone instead. At work we use Dell. I see a lot of good reviews comments about Apple. A co-worker only buys Apple computers.

Return to Top
#2239856 - 07/20/20 06:17 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
I have to make a decision in the next 10 days because the bank wants its stuff back when I retire. I guess that's reasonable, but it would make a lovely parting gift! I'm going back and forth between a laptop and a desktop. I most use my iPad, but there are things I need a mouse and keyboard for - I'm 50/50 on thinking I want the portability of a laptop, but pretty sure a desktop make more sense for what I think I'll be using it for. In the meantime.... I need to figure this out and haul it over to MicroCenter to see what my options look like. Fortunately, I'm married to a network engineer who won't let me do anything too stupid with new electronics.

Return to Top
#2239859 - 07/20/20 06:35 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I hate laptops....i'm either on a desktop or my phone. Can't type on laptops.

Return to Top
#2239863 - 07/20/20 06:48 PM Re: New Laptop PC - Any recommendations? MB Guy
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I have always used a laptop. At home I have a docking station with two 24 inch monitors and an external keyboard and mouse. But if I decide to go somewhere, then I just unplug it and drop it in my backpack. Just got a new Microsoft Surface Book 3.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2