Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2242370 - 09/14/20 12:28 PM Didn't Miss the NFL
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
When the NFL made the announcement a couple of weeks ago that their entire game broadcasts this season were going to be a Woke-propaganda fest, I decided I'm done with the NFL. This weekend was the first time in decades that during the season I didn't tune in to NFL football at all. I found I did not miss it at all.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2242372 - 09/14/20 01:45 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
The NFL was on this weekend?
Guess I didn’t miss it either.

Return to Top
#2242373 - 09/14/20 01:55 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
My 2 cents--you can find all the propaganda and butt-hurtedness you want to on either side of this issue just by visiting a social media site.

Return to Top
#2242385 - 09/14/20 04:33 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, the EPL kicked off this past Saturday, the only football that matters in our household (unless LSU is playing for another BCS championship or the Saint's are in the superbowl). Plus, the Tour de France is on. on top of prepping for a potential hurricane coming our way (fortunately for us has turned) who has time for pigskin these day.

Return to Top
#2242388 - 09/14/20 04:45 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"well, the EPL kicked off this past Saturday, "

"The Tour de France"

Are you posting from Europe?

As per NYF did not miss it either

Recap based upon news: Brady lost by himself and Bellicik won by himself only a slight nod to Cam Newton (no other teammates involved except for the opening protest/non-protest) . Local team either lost or won.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2242411 - 09/14/20 07:42 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Appreciate the concise NFL update.

Return to Top
#2242435 - 09/15/20 12:22 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Didn't even know whether Cam had won the starting job or not. And really don't care at this point. I was interested to see that the NFL ratings for opening weekend were down almost 30% from last year (and that's without a lot of fans in stadiums), so looks like I'm not alone.

Return to Top
#2242458 - 09/15/20 05:11 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Nice thing about all the fans leaving is that the salary caps are going to drop.....that will probably be interesting to see.

Return to Top
#2242459 - 09/15/20 05:18 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by edAudit

Are you posting from Europe?

I can only wish...perhaps one day, mon ami!

Return to Top
#2242537 - 09/16/20 06:38 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
My interest in the NFL has steadily dropped over the last few seasons. I did turn on a game or two for a few minutes this past weekend, but really have no idea who was playing. Didn't turn on MNF at all. I guess I'm pretty much done with it, too.

Return to Top
#2242544 - 09/16/20 07:46 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Originally Posted by RVFlyboy
When the NFL made the announcement a couple of weeks ago that their entire game broadcasts this season were going to be a Woke-propaganda fest, I decided I'm done with the NFL. This weekend was the first time in decades that during the season I didn't tune in to NFL football at all. I found I did not miss it at all.

Doug's watched more games than I can count since last week. He didn't mention anything other than good football. Everything I heard from the TV (different room) sure sounded like normal football to me. Wonder if Tom K is still doing his push-up routine with the Broncos?

Return to Top
#2242564 - 09/16/20 09:00 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Just checked with the retired football fan with whom I live - he said if you want to just see football and miss any "woke-propaganda"? All you need to do is skip pre-game. He also said he hasn't seen anything offensive.

Return to Top
#2242570 - 09/16/20 09:13 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
He also said he hasn't seen anything offensive.

So he was watching a NJ football team?
Last edited by edAudit; 09/16/20 09:14 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2242573 - 09/16/20 09:32 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL edAudit
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Originally Posted by edAudit
He also said he hasn't seen anything offensive.

So he was watching a NJ football team?

Nope, he's a very happy Chiefs fan.

But I see what you did there! #nicepun Do you remember the controversy (years ago) over that NJ team finding white powder on the field? Turned out it was the chalk for the goal line.

Return to Top
#2242589 - 09/16/20 10:01 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Didn't even know whether Cam had won the starting job or not. And really don't care at this point. I was interested to see that the NFL ratings for opening weekend were down almost 30% from last year (and that's without a lot of fans in stadiums), so looks like I'm not alone.

There's a multitude of things leading to the decrease in viewership:

1. The NBA playoffs are going on at the same time.
2. Cord cutting has lead to lower viewership of most network TV
3. The 2020 election is fast approaching. Ratings are always down during an election year, especially during such divisive times.

Yes, there are definitely those who will not watch due to player messaging, but to blame all or even the majority of the decrease in viewership on backlash for the NFL's "wokeness" is disingenuous at best.

Return to Top
#2242604 - 09/17/20 12:47 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
All the propaganda stuff is annoying, but isn't the biggest reason I've lost interest. The rule changes which encourage offense and discourage defense. It's quite obvious. There is a reason that 5,000 yards passing and 40+ touchdowns is common place now. There's a reason an average score is 45-42. It isn't because offenses have gotten better and defenses worse.... It's because defenses have been so heavily throttled there's little they do without drawing a flag.

Return to Top
#2242605 - 09/17/20 12:47 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Some observations LOL

There's a multitude of things leading to the decrease in viewership:

1. The NBA playoffs are going on at the same time. (Is anyone watching this as well)
2. Cord cutting has lead to lower viewership of most network TV (most TV's have an electrical cord)
3. The 2020 election is fast approaching. Ratings are always down during an election year, especially during such divisive times.(is anyone watching the news when it is so bias towards whatever side the management wants. <not a political statement>)

IMO; for most fans it is not the message it is about time and place of the message.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2242609 - 09/17/20 12:57 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Or fans could find it hard to follow someone claiming discrimination from someone earing 5 to 10 million dollars a year, whose only contribution to society is catching a ball or putting it through a hoop.

Now if they can do that and find a cure for Covid...

CAMS

Return to Top
#2242664 - 09/17/20 11:46 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL burkemi
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted by burkemi
All the propaganda stuff is annoying, but isn't the biggest reason I've lost interest. The rule changes which encourage offense and discourage defense. It's quite obvious. There is a reason that 5,000 yards passing and 40+ touchdowns is common place now. There's a reason an average score is 45-42. It isn't because offenses have gotten better and defenses worse.... It's because defenses have been so heavily throttled there's little they do without drawing a flag.

Yeah, the defense can hardly make a tackle without drawing a penalty. Plus, as with other sports, offense is more entertaining to the masses. Most people would see a score of 7-3 and think "how boring". It's the same as the "steroid era" in baseball. Ratings were huge because home runs were exciting and a 1-0 pitching duel would probably lose viewers.

I don't watch much sports at all (even before COVID) but I can appreciate a great effort whether offense or defense.

Return to Top
#2242681 - 09/18/20 01:10 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I enjoy a good defensive game. But that's just not possible any more really. Now a 7 - 3 score probably is boring. That score in today's game indicates a very sloppy offensive performance rather than a tough defensive game.

Return to Top
#2242686 - 09/18/20 01:47 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Most people would see a score of 7-3 and think "how boring".

except if it was soccer

CAMS

Return to Top
#2242704 - 09/18/20 03:06 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia

Return to Top
#2242811 - 09/21/20 04:47 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, in the EPL this weekend, there was a 5-2, 4-2, 5-2, 3-1, 2-0, 3-0, 4-3 scores that occurred, all were infinitely more exciting than NFL, MLB, Golf, NBA...

additionally, Slovenian Tadaj Podgacar won the 22 mile mountain time trial on Saturday to clinch the Tour de France victory from fellow Slovenian Primoj Roglic, who had held the yellow jersey for 14 consecutive days and was though to be uncatchable. Podgacar is 22 years old, the youngest winner since 1904...

And the Dallas Stars beat Tampa Bay 4-1 to take a 1-0 lead in the Stanley Cup finals, best of 7.

Return to Top
#2242818 - 09/21/20 05:28 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL HappyGilmore
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
well, in the EPL this weekend, there was a 5-2, 4-2, 5-2, 3-1, 2-0, 3-0, 4-3 scores that occurred, all were infinitely more exciting than NFL, MLB, Golf, NBA...

additionally, Slovenian Tadaj Podgacar won the 22 mile mountain time trial on Saturday to clinch the Tour de France victory from fellow Slovenian Primoj Roglic, who had held the yellow jersey for 14 consecutive days and was though to be uncatchable. Podgacar is 22 years old, the youngest winner since 1904...

And the Dallas Stars beat Tampa Bay 4-1 to take a 1-0 lead in the Stanley Cup finals, best of 7.

But do you have any sports updates?

Return to Top
#2242825 - 09/21/20 06:19 PM Re: Didn't Miss the NFL RVFlyboy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore

But do you have any sports updates?

I had to google what EPL was....

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2