Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#546063 - 05/10/06 06:45 PM Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Cust. came in to dep. $1500.to his account. Acct. opened 15+ yrs. ago. At time of deposit cust. had/didn't offer ID. Also asked for limits for future purchases of official checks - to avoid our manual recordkeeping of cash usage > $3,000. Cust. got cold feet, took money ($4500.00) and left bank. No further trans. in account (been a month+)No big trans. in account for years. In such cases, do you have a policy of doing a SAR right away, as soon as a customer asks about recordkeeping policies then cancels trans. or do you monitor for another such incidence? I am on the fence about this as this is not a repeat, guy is retired, etc. and the amount is not significant.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#546064 - 05/10/06 08:20 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
New to Compliance Offline
Tucson, AZ
I would have filled out the SAR right away. He was fishing for information to avoid reports. When in doubt, fill out. I would rather report something that may not be anything rather than not report and it turns out to be something.

Return to Top
#546065 - 05/10/06 08:42 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
But I believe the $'s involved here is below the reporting limits, isn't it?

Return to Top
#546066 - 05/12/06 02:23 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
palmertown Offline
Pennsylvania
I would have filed the SAR right away also. I don't believe the dollar amount comes into play because you would be reporting on the fact that he questioned your filing limits and then did not complete the deposit.

Return to Top
#546067 - 05/12/06 07:25 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
file the SAR and let the government decide if it's suspicious

Return to Top
#546068 - 05/12/06 07:49 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
Data Offline
100 Club
Data
Houston
Sorry, I do not agree with defensive filings. Known retired customer doing something dumb. Call the customer up and ask him what he was doing. Don't clog the pipe.

Return to Top
#546069 - 05/13/06 04:04 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I agree with Data. We do not need SAR's to become the 21st century version of "Big Brother" and reportng every furtive glance or oddly dressed person.

Return to Top
#546070 - 05/13/06 04:13 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Quote:

Also asked for limits for future purchases of official checks - to avoid our manual recordkeeping of cash usage > $3,000. Cust. got cold feet, took money ($4500.00) and left bank.

My concern - this question and subsequent change in transaction (no transaction) are indicative of evading reporting requirements of Bank Secrecy Act, which is reportable, whether we think it is stupid or not.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#546071 - 05/13/06 04:25 PM Re: Sar right away or monitor for more?HELP!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
But $4,500 is under the SAR reporting threshold. IMHO, the account should be monitored to see if the customer starts conducting transactions that would be indicitive of structuring.

He may have received some bad info along the lines of "If the bank records your transaction, they file it with the IRS and that could trigger an audit." He may also be afraid of identity theft.

There is a reason the SAR reporting threshold was set at $5,000, and when the industry starts to voluntarily lower that threshold, we could really set ourselves up for program failure later on.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z