Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#747802 - 06/06/07 04:22 PM Return Letters from the IRS on CTR
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
I have five letters returned from the IRS concerning some CTR's. Our CTR's are automated and are generated daily and then checked by two people before they are sent. They were returned because there is a car dealer who deals a lot with hispanic customers and the IRS says that the information SSN/Customer Name does not match or there is a "possible mismatch between the name reported and corresponding SSN"

Our records on our system match what was on the CTR so I am confused as to why they are sending these back?

Another thing, some of these go back to September, October and December of 2006.

Any help or comments will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#747882 - 06/06/07 04:56 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR BSAFrustration
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Send a letter to the IRS stating that the document that you have on file for the customer supports the SSN used.
Look at prior recent threads on this topic - the number used may be an ITIN which could account for the mismatch with the IRS.

Return to Top
#747888 - 06/06/07 04:59 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR MagicCity
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Return to Top
#747893 - 06/06/07 05:02 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR MagicCity
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Thank you. That is what I am doing as we speak. Filling out a letter telling them that the information we put on the CTR matches what our records show. Doesn't the IRS have ITIN's on file also?

Return to Top
#747934 - 06/06/07 05:27 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR BSAFrustration
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
IRS issues the ITINs, and they allow you to use them on CTRs, but apparently they have not figured out yet that an ITIN is not the same as an SSN or EIN and that they have no method to match ITINs on CTRs.

Return to Top
#747942 - 06/06/07 05:31 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR Retread
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Retread
IRS issues the ITINs, and they allow you to use them on CTRs, but apparently they have not figured out yet that an ITIN is not the same as an SSN or EIN and that they have no method to match ITINs on CTRs.

It's frustrating to say the least and it probably looks bad on our FI having these things returned when there was actually nothing wrong with them.

Return to Top
#747948 - 06/06/07 05:35 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR BSAFrustration
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
"... and it probably looks bad on our FI having these things returned when there was actually nothing wrong with them."

I would not worry about that...
It happens to all of us.

Return to Top
#747961 - 06/06/07 05:40 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR MagicCity
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
We have had two of these exact returns as well and what we have figured out on a couple of them is we had their name listed incorrectly as to how their TIN was listed due to their having two last names (mother's & father's). After asking the customer to view their TIN card we then were able to submit a correction on the name.

Return to Top
#747965 - 06/06/07 05:40 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR BSAFrustration
Obi Offline
100 Club
We had one that was always being returned. I finally looked at the customer's tax payment coupon and discovered that the EIN we had on the system was one digit off of the number that was on the coupon. We verified with the customer which number was correct and found we had been using the incorrect number on our CTR's.

Return to Top
#748757 - 06/07/07 03:32 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR Obi
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
We've also experienced alot of return letters from the IRS, but our problem doesn't appear to be related to an ITIN, but rather it appears more related to the use of surnames by the Hispanic community. Some education with the new accounts staff on this cultural convention may save some frustration downstream.

Return to Top
#748824 - 06/07/07 04:26 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR Rosie O'Grady
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
We are having a similar issue with Asian names. First/Middle/Last are often scrambled. Many recnet returns, and very old ones I might add.

Return to Top
#748831 - 06/07/07 04:29 PM Re: Return Letters from the IRS on CTR Rosie O'Grady
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
Don't assume that the documents you have support that the number is correct. I made the same argument with the IRS stating that we had pulled credit and had a tax return with a Hispanic customer's social security on both documents. The IRS asked me to have the customer bring in their social security card. When I asked them to do that, they explained "well that's not my social security number". I had them bring me their ITIN and filed that with the CTR.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z