Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#958171 - 05/13/08 01:52 PM Exempt MSB?
Bankster Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
Is it common practice to exempt an MSB from CTR reporting? I have a customer that is a reputable grocery store that performs wires and money order sales. At initial account opening it was indicated that less than 8% of their business consists of the above activity. I know that I am able to exempt them, but is it common to? We are filing CTR's daily.

Thanks for your input!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#958228 - 05/13/08 02:51 PM Re: Exempt MSB? Bankster
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
It was common with my former bank & my current bank. But we only exempted Grocery Stores (like what you described)

One thing auditors liked to see was I had a copy of their sales (from their accountant) that proved the 8% (or whatever percent less than 50%)

They also liked that I had a documented site visit - where I described the customers & what they were purchasing.

Return to Top
#958396 - 05/13/08 05:52 PM Re: Exempt MSB? WonderWoman
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Phase II exemptions aren't based on sales volumes, they are based on revenues. Make sure you are documenting the income base of your customer's exemptible vs. non-exemptible business activities.

"A business that engages in multiple business activities may be treated as a non-listed business so long as no more than 50% of its gross revenues is derived from one or more of the ineligible business activities listed in this paragraph (d)(6)(viii)."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z