Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1244897 - 09/03/09 06:58 PM NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA?
Yada...Yada...Yada... Offline
Gold Star
We have a branch in a small town (less than 1,000 people), and recently, a person from India moved to town to manage a local hotel. He was previously in another state in the US, but for how long I don't know. He had a passport that expired on December 30, 2008, but he also had a USA ID Systems ID, issued in Illinois on 1/2/09. This is a picture ID and the company supposedly verfies ID with various documents, etc.

Does a visitor in the US need a VISA allowing them to stay a certain amount of time?

Would this USA ID Systems ID be a sufficient ID? I hadn't seen one of these before?

Our CIP policy says expired docs are not acceptable...but this ID, if valid would work I think.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1244910 - 09/03/09 07:17 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? Yada...Yada...Yada...
Auditor247 Offline
100 Club
Auditor247
http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

Does a visitor in the US need a VISA allowing them to stay a certain amount of time? Yes, unless they are eligible to travel to the US without a Visa. The site above identifies who can visit without a Visa.

Would this USA ID Systems ID be a sufficient ID? I hadn't seen one of these before?

http://www.idbadge.com/
I think this is their site and this is not government issued ID. Your CIP Program should contain a listing of identification documents that are acceptable for your institution.

Return to Top
#1244968 - 09/03/09 08:09 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? Auditor247
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Auditor247
http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html
http://www.idbadge.com/
I think this is their site and this is not government issued ID. Your CIP Program should contain a listing of identification documents that are acceptable for your institution.

This is actually their site. USA ID Systems

Return to Top
#1245041 - 09/03/09 08:46 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? Yada...Yada...Yada...
Auditor247 Offline
100 Club
Auditor247
Thanks. That one doesn't appear government issued either.

Return to Top
#1245141 - 09/03/09 09:41 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? Auditor247
Gold Star
On the ID page, it has the following bullets:

"Don't risk losing important documents for identification reasons. We offer you solution. Get your own USAID Card here.
- FREE printable applications online
- The legal alternative card for identification purposes ONLY
- Valid worldwide

Has anyone else seen these? Are they truly a "legal alternative" and valid "worldwide."???

Return to Top
#1245155 - 09/03/09 09:55 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? Yada...Yada...Yada...
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No, it is not a valid ID. It is as valid as an "International Drivers License" issued by triple AAA.

Return to Top
#1245605 - 09/04/09 05:22 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? rlcarey
Gold Star
My suspicion is this guy is not here legally. Maybe he was at some point, but probably not now. Why else would you have an expired passport and no other ID but this particular ID. Maybe Jerry Seinfeld got his VISA renewal papers too...

He opened the account with very little dollars. I don't believe this would be SARworthy, would it?

Return to Top
#1245620 - 09/04/09 05:31 PM Re: NRAs - Do they need a VISA to remain in the USA? Yada...Yada...Yada...
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sarworthy no - but it sounds like your have a big fat CIP violation on your hands as you opened the account with a expired government identification (passport).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z