Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1509556 - 02/14/11 03:52 AM CTR for multiple companies
horizon Offline
We are having a discussion about a group of corporations with the same signers and different EINs. If each company makes cash deposits under $10,000.00, but the aggregate amount of all the companies exceeds $10,000.00 is a CTR filed? We cannot determine if the same person is making the deposits and they are all at different brancheds. I say no CTR, because each corportion is the beneficiary of the funds not the signers. Am I correct?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1509576 - 02/14/11 01:28 PM Re: CTR for multiple companies horizon
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Each entity is a different person. Banks are required to aggregate if transactions are by the same person. They are also required to aggregate if transactions are on behalf of the same person.

Two entities with the same owners and signatories are not the same person. Their transactions are not subject to aggregation.

There is FinCEN guidance to the effect that if the entities are not operated separately; e.g. transfers are made between them to cover payrolls etc. then their transactions might be subject to aggregation. That's the exception, not the rule.

Return to Top
#1509577 - 02/14/11 01:29 PM Re: CTR for multiple companies horizon
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
You only aggregate if the same person is conducting the deposits or if you have knowledge that the different businesses are not being operated independently and thay are co-mingling their funds (see FinCEN ruling 2001-2). In your case it would be nice to be able to identify the conductors.

Return to Top
#1509809 - 02/14/11 05:39 PM Re: CTR for multiple companies devsfan
horizon Offline
Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z