Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1667600 - 02/21/12 02:40 PM Elder Abuse SAR
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I filed a SAR on a daughter, who was on the account of her mother, but all the same went through $50K of her mom's money in a one year period. I contacted a brother, also on the account, but not making any of the withdrawals, to ask if this type of activity was normal for "Mom." It wasn't-he would have a talk with "good ole sis." Sixty days later the daughter (65+-) is having Mom-who is (95+-)also sign the withdrawal permission. (She brings in a slip signed by Mom.) Some of them look to be Mom's signature, most of them look to be someone else signing Mom's name. This suspected forgery is not really necessary because the Daughter is still on the account and also signs her own name.

It is a joint account, with Mom, Daughter and Son having equal rights to the monies (although it Mom's SS that keeps funding the account.)

I think I should continue to file as long as the activity continues. Since I'm new to BSA I question myself. Thanks for any comments or references of support.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1667707 - 02/21/12 04:32 PM Re: Elder Abuse SAR biz
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Not only should you continue to file if you believe that daughter is financially abusing her elder mother, you must consider whether you have a reporting duty (legal or otherwise) under state law or regulations.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1668016 - 02/21/12 10:05 PM Re: Elder Abuse SAR biz
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
This suspected forgery is not really necessary because the Daughter is still on the account and also signs her own name.

Then at least put her to the trouble of signing her own name rather than paying on a signature you acknowledge is probably forged. Mom will be just as broke, but your bank won't be complicit.

You're required to file the SAR, but filing it isn't going to accomplish anything, nada, zip... This is not a federal offense and no one is going to contact you or act as a result of a SAR.

As John notes, your bank is either a voluntary or mandatory reporter under state law. That report may actually make a difference before this leech bleeds the old lady dry.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z