Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1746854 - 10/04/12 08:32 PM Loan application fraud?
Chocaholic Offline
Gold Star
Northwest
An individual applied for a car loan, presented a DL that appeared valid & unaltered. However when running credit the SSN they provided came up issued before birthdate & deceased. We contacted the applicant to obtain a copy of their SS card & reverify their SSN and instead, they brought in a 1099 issued from another bank with another tax ID # on it... confusing?
We will turn the request down based on other information in the file... My question, should we file a SAR, bank has sustained no loss, and if yes what would be criteria,

Please help!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1746929 - 10/05/12 09:52 AM Re: Loan application fraud? Chocaholic
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
SAR filings are never conditioned on whether the bank lost money.

The "amount involved" is the amount of the loan the customer applied for, not the amount of the bank's loss. In your scenario, if you believe the customer intentionally made false statements in connection with the loan application, the amount involved exceeded $5,000 and you have a suspect, it's a mandatory SAR.

As the customer gave you what you appear to believe was valid identification, but the SSN was completely bogus, you do have a suspect.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z