Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1729708 - 08/10/12 04:05 PM Purchased a bank and exempt customers
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
I know this has been asked in this forum before and I have searched but could not find it. We have purchased a bank. When I go and review for BSA, am I correct that any customer on their exempt list can remain on the exempt list as long as I review the activity and they qualify for exempt status. Also on Phase II, should I file another DOEP?

Thanks for your advice.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1729762 - 08/10/12 05:34 PM Re: Purchased a bank and exempt customers CrashDavis
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey

Return to Top
#1729763 - 08/10/12 05:35 PM Re: Purchased a bank and exempt customers CrashDavis
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
To both questions, yes. You want to have any required DOEP filings under your bank's record at FinCEN from the day the acquisition is finalized. And when you review activity of Phase II exempt customers, you can include the activity "bought" with the acquisition.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1729766 - 08/10/12 05:36 PM Re: Purchased a bank and exempt customers CrashDavis
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
Thanks to both Ken and John. I thought that was the case but wanted to be certain.

Return to Top
#1729801 - 08/10/12 06:26 PM Re: Purchased a bank and exempt customers CrashDavis
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
Oops. Thank Ken for linking to the recent thread. I could not locate it. I guess I was doing something wrong. I can get forgetful at times.

Return to Top
#1729847 - 08/10/12 07:19 PM Re: Purchased a bank and exempt customers CrashDavis
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's all good, Crash. And if you hadn't posted your question this time, I never would have seen Ken's response in the other thread. I haven't seen "brogans" used in years, but I'm not surprised to see it used by my Kentucky sage and friend.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1847551 - 08/29/13 09:48 PM Re: Purchased a bank and exempt customers John Burnett
SonnyGirl Offline
Gold Star
I would like to revive this thread! We are the acquirED bank, not the acquirER. I have been asked by the acquiring institution to determine the process for "exempting" our exempted customers, that is, whether DOEP's can be immediately filed for those under the acquirER institution's credentials. Although what is stated in this thread is logical, I would like to ask whether there is written guidance. I have searched the BSA regulation and FinCEN's website, did not find anything.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z