Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1919415 - 05/01/14 06:21 PM Independent BSA exam
sunshinebanker Offline
100 Club
We are an OCC regulated bank and sending out requests for proposals for our independent BSA exam. we will be needing both a review of our core bank and prepaid card division. The FFIEC guidelines require transaction testing. If we look at the number of general purpose re-loadable cards we have issued and put that number into the statistical sampling model we use, it requires transaction testing (review of transactions for suspicious activity) of almost 400 cards. Finding a consultant with resources available for this detail of testing along with the cost of paying for this level of transaction testing is becoming an issue.
Are there other banks requiring this level of detail transaction testing by outside exam teams either for their prepaid card accounts or core bank accounts?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1919428 - 05/01/14 06:36 PM Re: Independent BSA exam sunshinebanker
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
What kind of sampling methodology are you using? The OCC relies on judgmental sampling and 400 samples seems very high.

Return to Top
#1919474 - 05/01/14 07:43 PM Re: Independent BSA exam sunshinebanker
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Most exam procedures are risk based. Sample size of 400 is extremely high.

Return to Top
#1919561 - 05/01/14 10:55 PM Re: Independent BSA exam sunshinebanker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
it requires transaction testing (review of transactions for suspicious activity) of almost 400 cards.

That is not how you test for suspicious activity in a BSA exam. You never just select a random sample of cards or accounts and then test for suspicious activity.

Return to Top
#1919662 - 05/02/14 02:20 PM Re: Independent BSA exam rlcarey
sunshinebanker Offline
100 Club
I agree with your comment, "that is not how you test for suspicious activity". What I propose is having the independent firm review our queries/logic of those queries/alerts/investigations and follow through SAR filings instead of the detailed card transactions. In addition, our compliance analyst also conducts BSA/AML transaction reviews during our annual program manager reviews. I would expect the independent examiner to also review a sample of that work for reasonableness. Agreed with my methodology Does that make sense?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z