Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2029554 - 07/24/15 04:07 PM Elder Abuse SAR?
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
If a customer continues to get cashier's checks to send to different companies promising prizes to pay what they are telling him is taxes for the prizes but no prizes are ever received should a SAR be filed for elder abuse? The customer is elderly and these transactions are never greater than $5,000 but I am afraid he is getting taken advantage of. The company is always different names so I am not sure who the subject would be if we report.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2029568 - 07/24/15 04:20 PM Re: Elder Abuse SAR? terpsfan
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
1. Stop issuing cashier's checks.

2. If you file, follow this guidance:

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/fin-2011-a003.html

Return to Top
#2029578 - 07/24/15 04:30 PM Re: Elder Abuse SAR? terpsfan
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If it's happened more than once, I suggest you either 1) aggregate the incidents or 2) just say "Who cares?" and file a voluntary SAR.

Of far more importance: Put a stop to it.

Determine what your reporting responsibilities are for reporting financial exploitation of the elderly under state law and make certain you fulfill them. Have the most skilled and effective person in your bank sit down with the customer and explain the situation.

Stop selling him cashiers checks.

Return to Top
#2029609 - 07/24/15 05:29 PM Re: Elder Abuse SAR? terpsfan
Jocawest Offline
New Poster
The subject would just be listed as unknown

Return to Top
#2029623 - 07/24/15 05:57 PM Re: Elder Abuse SAR? Jocawest
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
That would depend on the specific fact situation; e.g. if I'm issuing a cashiers check to John Smith that may or may not be the perp's real name. However, I have no reason to assume that it's not and, thus, deny law enforcement the opportunity to connect the dots between this scam and another.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z