Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2081465 - 06/02/16 01:32 PM Customer or non-Customer
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
What is a "Customer". We have on-us checks being cashed periodically that are within the realm ($3,000 or more) where our policy is to gather information on the conductor via our Teller Software. Call it the BSA Screen. I would like to hear your thoughts on how these transactions should be recorded - depending on how Customer is defined.

So, a former owner of a loan that paid off five years ago comes in the cash an on-us check for $7,000. He has no other relationships with the bank. His driver's license used originally for the old loan (which is on our system for quick reference) is now expired. We have no idea if the data listed in the system is accurate, except for his SSN, birthday and name.

I do not consider this person a "customer" for BSA purposes because he no longer has a relationship with the bank. We do have information on him, but we have no idea if it is current. Every time I query a teller, and ask them about customer status, they answer that if they are in the core system, then they are customers. I whole heartedly disagree. I think they should be entering the data as an on-us check being cashed by a non-customer.

Now this doesn't make a huge difference in our daily life at the bank, except I have to unravel who did what and make sure CTR data (if a CTR were ever required) is accurate. But I would like to settle the definition of Customer once and for all.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2081478 - 06/02/16 02:19 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
For CIP, if the account has been closed for more than 12 months then the individual is no longer a customer. If they open an account again after the 12 month period then you must do CIP on that individual again.

Return to Top
#2081484 - 06/02/16 02:28 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I don't believe there's a time limit of 12 months. Once you no longer have any active accounts with a bank, you are no longer a customer, even if you closed the account yesterday.

For CTR purposes I think it's expected that you have all information current as at the time of the transaction.

Return to Top
#2081492 - 06/02/16 02:53 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I didn't look up anything in the reg, but at our bank you are not a customer as soon as you have no active accounts.

Return to Top
#2081495 - 06/02/16 03:01 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Ditto

Return to Top
#2081542 - 06/02/16 05:21 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
In general, any individual that doesn't have an open personal account/loan with the bank is not a customer. A signer on a corporation, regardless if we have their personal info is not a customer. And if they don't have a DDA or SAV account, remember they are a "non-customer" for monetary instrument purchases as well. I think if you try and carve out different definitions for CIP, check cashing, whether you have info on the core, etc, then you are going to create confusion and more room for error. IMHO, keep it simple.

Return to Top
#2081546 - 06/02/16 05:28 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
When dealing with different regulations, one has to be careful about definitions. For instance, the definition of a customer for CIP is different than the "general" definition of customer in FinCEN regulations.

FinCEN - General Provisions
Quote:
Sec. 1010.100 General definitions

When used in this chapter and in forms prescribed under this chapter, where not otherwise distinctly expressed or manifestly incompatible with the intent thereof, terms shall have the meanings ascribed in this subpart. Terms applicable to a particular type of financial institution or specific part or subpart of this chapter are located in that part or subpart. Terms may have different meanings in different parts or subparts.

(p) Established customer. A person with an account with the financial institution, including a loan account or deposit or other asset account, or a person with respect to which the financial institution has obtained and maintains on file the person’s name and address, as well as taxpayer identification number (e.g., social security or employer identification number) or, if none, alien identification number or passport number and country of issuance, and to which the financial institution provides financial services relying on that information.

FinCen - Rules for Banks
Quote:

Sec. 1020.100 Definitions.

Refer to §1010.100 of this Chapter for general definitions not noted herein. To the extent there is a differing definition in §1010.100 of this Chapter, the definition in this Section is what applies to Part 1020. Unless otherwise indicated, for purposes of this Part:

(c) Customer. For the purposes of §1020.220: (aka - Customer Identification Program-CIP)

(1) Customer means:

(i) A person that opens a new account; and

(ii) An individual who opens a new account for:

(A) An individual who lacks legal capacity, such as a minor; or

(B) An entity that is not a legal person, such as a civic club.

(2) Customer does not include:

(i) A financial institution regulated by a Federal functional regulator or a bank regulated by a State bank regulator;

(ii) A person described in §1020.315(b)(2) through (b)(4); or

(iii) A person that has an existing account with the bank, provided that the bank has a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the person.

For purposes of requiring your CIP process, the definition of a customer is different than it is for all other areas of BSA. An item to consider would be to define that in your Bank's policy using the "general" definition for anything other than your CIP process. For instance, if you are providing financial services and are relying on information that you have on file in providing those services, then that person is your customer.

In the case of cashing a check for a "former" customer, this is where your policy and procedure should be clear to front-line staff - are you relying on old information you still have in your system to cash the check? Or do you require the person to present a current form of identification before cashing the check?

Return to Top
#2081599 - 06/02/16 08:32 PM Re: Customer or non-Customer NU Rhules
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
Good Stuff. Thanks.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z