Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1506512 - 02/08/11 02:41 PM CTR Exemptions
Linkpars Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
We have a business that is listed as an MSB. This business will write checks for change to a couple of their employees to cash. We have talked about exempting the business because we are currently doing 2-3 CTRs a week on them.

My question is this, seeing how the business will write checks to employees to cash for their change order, it is ok to exempt the business since all the transaction are done on behalf of the business.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1506798 - 02/08/11 07:59 PM Re: CTR Exemptions Linkpars
summergirl Offline
Delaware
Since MSB's are considered high risk why would you want to exempt them? Just curious! Exempting an MSB in my institution isn't even something up for consideration!

Return to Top
#1506806 - 02/08/11 08:06 PM Re: CTR Exemptions summergirl
Linkpars Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
Well I was not for exempting them for that very reason, but I have had several ask why we have not done so yet. I just wanted to get some other opinions. I agree with you summergirl, they are high risk and I would rather see their daily activity, instead of just reviewing them once a year or every two years.

Return to Top
#1506848 - 02/08/11 08:40 PM Re: CTR Exemptions Linkpars
banker1976 Offline
Gold Star
Mid-Atlantic
Money Service Businesses are ineligible for exemption under CTR regulations.

Return to Top
#1506860 - 02/08/11 08:56 PM Re: CTR Exemptions banker1976
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: banker1976
Money Service Businesses are ineligible for exemption under CTR regulations.

Since when? I thought so at one point and raised the question and was told they are eligible and there is nothing in the FFIEC handbook that states differently.

We have an MSB that has been exempted because we were filing on them practically every day. They are still considered high risk and monitored like any other high risk customer is, but they are exempt from filing CTRs and the OCC has never had any issues with our MSBs or our exemptions.

Please cite your source.

Thanks!
Last edited by jennyfromthebloc; 02/08/11 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Return to Top
#1506872 - 02/08/11 09:02 PM Re: CTR Exemptions J2C
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
From FFIEC BSA Manual:

Ineligible Businesses
Certain businesses are ineligible for treatment as an exempt non-listed business (31 CFR 103.22(d)(5)(viii)). An ineligible business is defined as a business engaged primarily in one or more of the following specified activities:

* Serving as a financial institution or as agents for a financial institution of any type.

...Now look at the definition of financial institution.

Return to Top
#1506892 - 02/08/11 09:13 PM Re: CTR Exemptions BrendaC
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
I stand corrected and I appreciate the citation. Curious though, when we originally had the discussion about exempting this particular customer I originally said no. Management wanted more research which lead me to asking the question directly to our primarly regulator who then said basically what I said above...you can exempt them, but you still have to monitor them.

Also interesting that audit nor the examiners have questioned the exemption since we did it a few years ago.

ho hum.

Return to Top
#1506896 - 02/08/11 09:14 PM Re: CTR Exemptions BrendaC
banker1976 Offline
Gold Star
Mid-Atlantic
Thanks for providing that info BrendaC. There is also guidance issued in the form of FAQ's to frequently asked BSA questions issued by FinCEN that states MSB's cannot be exempt; also the FDIC's Risk Management Manual of Examination Policies states the same.

Return to Top
#1506898 - 02/08/11 09:18 PM Re: CTR Exemptions banker1976
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
THanks banker1976 for the additional resources. I believe the FAQ's are where I originally may have said NO to the exemption at the very beginning, but with managements arm twisting techniques I did more research....and here is where we have landed.

It extremely frustrates me that the regulatory agencies can give bad advice but they never get their hands slapped.

Return to Top
#1506928 - 02/08/11 09:56 PM Re: CTR Exemptions J2C
CompliKat Offline
CompliKat
I too will have to look into this because we have an exempt MSB as well. We still monitor the daylights out of them but were also told that we could exempt them. Hmmmmmm

Return to Top
#1506987 - 02/09/11 01:51 AM Re: CTR Exemptions CompliKat
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Many can be exempted if over 50% of their revenues are not generated from the ineligible activities. A pure check casher no - convenince store that does this on the side - sure (with the proper documentation).

A business that engages in multiple business activities may be treated as a non-listed business so long as no more than 50% of its gross revenues are derived from one or more of the ineligible business activities listed in this paragraph (d)(5)(viii).

Return to Top
#1507105 - 02/09/11 02:42 PM Re: CTR Exemptions rlcarey
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Many can be exempted if over 50% of their revenues are not generated from the ineligible activities. A pure check casher no - convenince store that does this on the side - sure (with the proper documentation).

A business that engages in multiple business activities may be treated as a non-listed business so long as no more than 50% of its gross revenues are derived from one or more of the ineligible business activities listed in this paragraph (d)(5)(viii).

I think I am okay then. They don't have 50% or more in ineligible activities. Thank goodness. Really thought that was a big ooops. Thank you, Randy!

Return to Top
#1507142 - 02/09/11 03:09 PM Re: CTR Exemptions J2C
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
This is from the FDIC Risk Management Examination Manual

Exemptions from CTR Filing Requirements
MSBs are subject to BSA regulations and OFAC sanctions and, as such, should be filing CTRs, screening customers for OFAC matches, and filing SARs, as appropriate. MSBs cannot exempt their customers from CTR filing requirements like banks can, and banks may not exempt MSB customers from CTR filing, unless the "50 Percent Rule" applies.

The "50 Percent Rule" states that if a MSB derives less than 50 percent of its gross cash receipts from money service activities, then it can be exempted. If the bank exempts a MSB customer under the "50 Percent Rule," it should have documentation evidencing the types of business conducted, receipt volume, and estimations of MSB versus non-MSB activity.

Return to Top
#1507144 - 02/09/11 03:10 PM Re: CTR Exemptions J2C
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
If you use NAICS codes, this is an area to watch very closely. If Acme Grocery's business revenues are primarily groceries not check cashing, code them as a grocery store and have your EDD documentation ready for review by auditors and examiners.

Return to Top
#1507155 - 02/09/11 03:20 PM Re: CTR Exemptions Linkpars
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
As has been demonstrated, it can be done. It's been discussed here before and the analysis generally concludes 1) your examiners will at first question, but will eventually have to accept your decision and 2) as many MSBs generate your highest level of monitoring anyway, what's the specific advantage to not filing CTR's?

Return to Top
#1508367 - 02/10/11 09:10 PM Re: CTR Exemptions Elwood P. Dowd
EdieT Offline
EdieT
PA
Just as an example, we do have 2 large grocery stores that are exempted. They cash checks (one is registered as they go over $1000/day), sell money orders, lottery tickets & wire money (as an agent of Western Union).
WE have all of the documentation & have never had a problem with these exemptions.
In our annual review, we specifically ask the "more than 50% of gross revenue" question & they must sign an acknowledgement.

Return to Top
#1509238 - 02/11/11 07:43 PM Re: CTR Exemptions BrendaC
idabanker Offline
New Poster
Originally Posted By: BrendaC
From FFIEC BSA Manual:

Ineligible Businesses
Certain businesses are ineligible for treatment as an exempt non-listed business (31 CFR 103.22(d)(5)(viii)). An ineligible business is defined as a business engaged primarily in one or more of the following specified activities:

* Serving as a financial institution or as agents for a financial institution of any type.

In this context, WHAT IS the definition of a financial institution? Would an ATM operator be considered ineligible?
Last edited by idabanker; 02/11/11 07:44 PM.
Return to Top
#1512927 - 02/22/11 05:57 PM Re: CTR Exemptions idabanker
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
We're considering exempting a business because we filed more than 5 CTR's in 2010 and they qualify as a phase II exemption. What happens if we do our 2012 annual review and discover we would have filed less than 5 CTR's if we hadn't exempted them?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#1512939 - 02/22/11 06:09 PM Re: CTR Exemptions *W*W*
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You remove them from any list of exempt persons that you maintain and begin filing CTRs. It's not a problem.

Return to Top
#2121171 - 03/08/17 10:04 PM Re: CTR Exemptions idabanker
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By idabanker
Originally Posted By BrendaC
From FFIEC BSA Manual:

Ineligible Businesses

In this context, WHAT IS the definition of a financial institution? Would an ATM operator be considered ineligible?

Sorry to revive this thread but I haven't found much that addresses this individuals question.
From everything I have been able to research, in most cases you are able to exempt ATM operators but I would make sure I had all my documentation together and do some research to have ready when asked.

Return to Top
#2121173 - 03/08/17 10:09 PM Re: CTR Exemptions Linkpars
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Here is FinCEN Guidance on the topic. Yes, you can exempt them.

https://www.fincen.gov/resources/statute...usiness-certain

Return to Top
#2121215 - 03/09/17 02:26 PM Re: CTR Exemptions RockChucker, CAMS
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Reviving an old thread indicates the presence of personal initiative; i.e. you tried to find the answer by searching prior threads. Keep on chuckin'. wink

Return to Top
#2121307 - 03/09/17 06:57 PM Re: CTR Exemptions Linkpars
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Brian - thanks for including the reference.

Ken - thanks and will do!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z