Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2160229 - 01/11/18 08:56 PM Cash From Client in Russia
GOWITHYOURGUT Offline
Scenario: Business client brings in enough cash to warrant a CTR. In conversation and when asked, they state one of their clients (supposedly from Russia) paid them in cash. They do indeed deal with businesses internationally but never dealing in cash.

For various reasons this transaction is of great concern, obviously. Would like opinions on how you all would proceed here.

My instinct is to contact client and ask for more detailed information regarding their distributor (who and where) first and foremost, risk ranking "high", and monitoring the account to see how those funds are processed and filing appropriate docs as this transaction is very unusual for this client and only compounded with the limited information they provided.

Is my thinking aligned right here?
Thank you in advance!
Last edited by DLF1999; 01/11/18 09:40 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2160235 - 01/11/18 09:01 PM Re: Cash from Russian Client GOWITHYOURGUT
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
what concerns does a business getting paid in cash present? because doing business and accepting cash is 100% legal in this country. and it does not appear the customer is attempting to hide anything, from your commentary.

what dollar range are we talking about? If $15k I'm not worried. if $500k I may worry worry.

but before heading off down the worry path, you are right, talk to the customer and seek additional input from them.

Return to Top
#2160253 - 01/11/18 09:38 PM Re: Cash from Russian Client GOWITHYOURGUT
GOWITHYOURGUT Offline
Thank you, Happy. Plan to do just that...talk more to client. I asked myself everyone question except the one you posed!

To clarify - concern is most definitely not the cash itself or their client but the country in which they stated the cash came from (although I have zero way of knowing if this is fact and even if so, that does not make it illegal either). In hindsight, I may have "headed down the worry path" before I looked around at all the different options! smile

Thanks again!

Return to Top
#2160261 - 01/11/18 10:06 PM Re: Cash from Russian Client GOWITHYOURGUT
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I used to work at a technology firm and had a couple of Russian immigrant co-workers--green card holders. Just because they originally came from Russia does not mean that cash came from Russia. I mean, I suppose it's POSSIBLE the Russian mob is involved with your transaction...but not the most likely scenario. Again, like Happy said, the amount would determine in part my level of concern.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z