Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2185106 - 07/12/18 02:48 PM B/O and church
tacticalerror Offline
New Poster
Hi all! I have vacation hangover, and just need to get this straight in my head before I open my mouth!

A local church has provided us with Cert. of Inc. and wants to open new accts. So we have to do beneficial ownership-correct? I've asked if they are 501c3, and have not gotten a response yet, if they are, then all we need is the control prong completed, correct? If not, then we're doing the whole enchilada. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2185123 - 07/12/18 03:18 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Maybe I am missing something here, but this is like the third time in two days I have seen reference to the entities 501c3 status as a determining factor in the cert completion.

They appear to be a legal entity in your state, so you ask them if anyone owns 25% or more of the entity. Being a church I would imagine in virtually all scenarios, that answer will be no, so you just move onto the control prong. I think it is simpler to ask the silly easy question rather than seeking out there 501c3 status, unless that is part of your normal account undewriting/CIP process.

I feel like I am missing something here.

Return to Top
#2185129 - 07/12/18 03:31 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
tacticalerror Offline
New Poster
Maybe I should have given some more info. In this instance we are not talking about the traditional church, such as the 'Yourtownhere Episcopal Church'. This is a group of family members that are starting their own church with services being held in a rented facility. Now, I will admit as a non-practicing person of any organized religion, I may be a bit naïve in the inner workings of organizing a church, which is why I'm asking. They have come to us, asking what they need to open the account, and I'm trying to cover all bases

Return to Top
#2185149 - 07/12/18 04:46 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
There is a carve out in BO for non-profit legal entities. While they are still subject to BO, they are exempt from the ownership prong and only need to provide the control prong.

Return to Top
#2185151 - 07/12/18 05:10 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
You are correct... I was misreading it as seeking proof/evidence of said status before moving ahead rather than take their statement as such. Read and responded too quickly.

Return to Top
#2185156 - 07/12/18 05:25 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
If you need a citation, review the April 3 FinCEN FAQ’s which specifically state that non-profits do not have to be a 501(c)(3) to only need the control prong. The only difference is that one non-profits donations are tax deductible and the other is not. We treat them the same for beneficial ownership. Control prong only.

Return to Top
#2185210 - 07/12/18 08:34 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Great point, Brian. To add to that, the real question that should be asked is whether the non-profit is incorporated or an unincorporated association. If incorporated, the Certification Form (control prong only) is needed. If it is an unincorporated association, the Certification Form is not needed.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2185238 - 07/12/18 11:51 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Since the OP comments that the church provided a Cert. of Inc. I made th conclusion that we were dealing with a legal entity.

Return to Top
#2188717 - 08/10/18 03:43 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
tacticalerror Offline
New Poster
Sorry to leave this hanging for so long-there are not enough hours in the day, sometimes.... Yes, the church did provide a Cert of Inc., so they are a legal entity. I guess where I get hung up is taking their word that they are non-profit. Just like taking their word for the rest of this. If we are taking legal entities at their word for the information provided, the I fail to see where Beneficial Ownership has any teeth. I could tell you that I am the queen of England, but that doesn't make it so......just venting some frustration...

Return to Top
#2188792 - 08/10/18 08:42 PM Re: B/O and church tacticalerror
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Amen tacticalerror! Most worthless requirement ever. Just makes the honest people work harder.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z