Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2273370 - 07/26/22 03:50 AM US Employment Authorization Document?
Mike S Offline
New Poster
New customer presented a primary identification document that isn't covered in our policy but is very legitimate.

So, apparently these are issued to refugees and asylum seekers. Long before the green card process even starts. This particular customer is from Russia and you can see from the date of issue, that it's pretty valid. I found this online:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gr...edures/employment-authorization-document

Question: She has a Russian passport for secondary ID (or primary; pick one). We don't have a policy against opening accounts in this situation, so we are fully aware it is something we need to run to our Compliance Committee to review.

In this situation, would your institution open a basic checking account for her?

There's a bit of a moral dilemma here because she's just trying to get started here in the USA, and obviously the government granted her refugee status by giving her this card -- we've just never seen one before.

I want to say yes....

Does anyone have anything in their policies in this situation? General guidance needed, please.

Document Pic: https://stage.coinmover.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/USA-EA-Cards.jpg
Last edited by Mike S; 07/26/22 03:52 AM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2273371 - 07/26/22 03:51 AM Re: US Employment Authorization Document? Mike S
Mike S Offline
New Poster
n/a
Last edited by Mike S; 07/26/22 03:52 AM.
Return to Top
#2273374 - 07/26/22 11:36 AM Re: US Employment Authorization Document? Mike S
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Those cards are issued for a lot more reasons than being a refugee. But since all the CIP regulations would require is a foreign passport and additional requirements really come down to your board approved CIP, if you require a second form of picture ID and they have nothing else on your list, you will need to go back to your board. Why a US Government issue ID is not on your list in a generic sense is the question.

Return to Top
#2273427 - 07/26/22 09:33 PM Re: US Employment Authorization Document? Mike S
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
[quote][/quote]Mike,

the first link in your earlier post is invalid. Can you check it out and post it again? Use the full edit display option so you can use the URL input triggered by the second button (between the Smilies button and the envelope graphic for inserting an email link)

In the meantime, Randy Carey's suggestion is a good one.
Last edited by John Burnett; 07/26/22 09:43 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2273432 - 07/27/22 11:52 AM Re: US Employment Authorization Document? Mike S
Mike S Offline
New Poster
Sorry, I copied only a partial URL:

The full link is: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gr...edures/employment-authorization-document

I guess that what I can infer from that link that this card is in fact a "US Government Issued ID" and yes, we do have that in our CIP policy, although in the same section of the CIP, we spell out each individual document we accept -- and this one is not on that list. I'll make sure that we add this specifically as an approved document in our CIP going forward.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z