Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#365136 - 05/27/05 09:15 PM Opinion/Feedback requested - CTR completion
AnnRoy Offline
Platinum Poster
AnnRoy
South
Here's the scenario: Bank customer has a split deposit for $40,000 (not on-us check)and made deposits to checking/saving accounts and made loan pymts; rec'd $12,000 cash back. How would you complete Part III? Show total cash out as $12,000 of course but would you check - negotiable instrument cashed and/or deposits and list the account numbers affected (DDAs and loan accounts)?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#365137 - 05/27/05 09:48 PM Re: Opinion/Feedback requested - CTR completion
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
The account numbers were not affected by the cash. Leave this section blank and indicate "negotiable instrument cashed."

You cashed a portion of a check. That's what your report should reflect.

Return to Top
#365138 - 06/06/05 05:31 PM Re: Opinion/Feedback requested - CTR completion
Anonymous
Unregistered

New situation, looking for opinion/feedback:

Client brings in $15K on-us check, takes $3K in cash and purchases $12K cashier's check payable to a local business. Cash never physically changed hands in an amount over $10K. My thought is, he wanted to cash his check and purchase a cashier's check, otherwise he would have deposited to his account and paid for the CC with a check. I am thinking a CTR should be filed, and possibly a SAR if I talk to the teller and we decide this was done as an attempt to avoid filing.

I can argue both sides of the issue in my head, can anyone give me advice on what your bank has done / what would be the compliant way to handle the situation please.

Return to Top
#365139 - 06/06/05 05:35 PM Re: Opinion/Feedback requested - CTR completion
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
From what I know a CTR cannot be filed. But dont take my word for it, I do not file them or review them for our bank. A SAR, probably.

Return to Top
#365140 - 06/06/05 05:43 PM Re: Opinion/Feedback requested - CTR completion
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
CTR is not required. The customer walked in with a negotiable instrument and he walked out with one. The $10,000+ limit was not hit.

If you suspect this is an illegal transaction in some way, then it would be reportable on a SAR. On the surface, the person wanted good funds without the hastle of waiting for a personal check to clear. Took some cash and wanted the balance in a cashiers check. Seems OK to me.

Return to Top
#365141 - 06/08/05 03:14 PM Re: Opinion/Feedback requested - CTR completion
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
big-dog is offering good advice. This is most definitely NOT a CTR situation.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z