Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#622860 - 10/10/06 01:26 AM Non Resident Aliens
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
We have just purchased a bank. They have about 20 non-resident alien dda accounts. They do not have a passport number, social security number, or nra number. What should we get for CIP purposes? Would they have a passport number. I was told they may not have one. How do we get proper ID on these customers?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#622861 - 10/10/06 09:56 AM Re: Non Resident Aliens
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
When were the accounts opened?

If it was before October 1, 2003 then the CIP regulation was not in effect. There was no legal requirement that the bank obtain the four pieces of information, including an identifying number. As they are demand deposit accounts, there was not even a need on the bank's part to obtain a W8-BEN. Label any effort you undertake as "due diligence" not CIP, but it probably would be prudent to clean this up.

If it was after the above date, review the bank's CIP and see how far out of compliance they were in opening these accounts. Regardless of what you find there, start contacting the account holders and give them a specific period of time (30 days?) to provide the information and documentation or the accounts will be closed. Document your efforts and finish the project in the timeframe you establish.

Return to Top
#622862 - 10/10/06 02:14 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
We frequently acquire banks with NRA customers and often find that the bank has failed to properly document ID for many of these individuals. We generally go back and ID all aliens to insure we know the true identity of each customer. I do not feel I could make a good case with a regulator that I know an alien customer's true identity if we didn't ask the right questions when we established the relationship. We generally find that most of the customers identified as NRAs are actually resident aliens.

We also generate a list of ITINs to insure that they are properly coded as aliens. Often we find they have been coded as U.S. persons because they have a TIN.

I think these are prudent CIP/CDD steps and serve well to educate bank employees on proper alien ID procedures.

Return to Top
#622863 - 10/12/06 09:59 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
Paris Offline
100 Club
Honolulu HI
How do you identify an ITIN from a SSN?

Return to Top
#622864 - 10/13/06 12:33 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you go to the www.ssa.gov website, there is good information there on SSNs.

Return to Top
#622865 - 10/13/06 03:33 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
ITIN is issued to an individual; it starts with a "9" and the 4th digit is a "7" or an "8".

Return to Top
#622866 - 10/13/06 04:19 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
There should be a either a W9 or a W8-BEN on file for any account holder. If you are missing certification information, then I would recommend you do a solicitation. For any accounts/customer records you do not receive the information on, you should be coding them for backup withholding even if the accounts are not currently interest bearing.

We add a note to the customer's record and each account stating that the customer is "subject to backup withholding pending receipt of TIN certification". That way the bankers see the notation on the customer record if they open any new accounts for the customer and they are reminded to be certain that The W9 or W8 are secured.

If you don't have the W8-BEN data, it is very difficult to properly do your 1042-S reporting.

Return to Top
#622867 - 10/13/06 05:31 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
TIN related certifications; i.e. W-9's and W8-BENs, are only required on interest bearing accounts. Banks that require them on all accounts reflect internal polcies, not legal requirments.

Baseballfan indicated these are demand deposits. Accordingly, they are not interest bearing and the forms are not required.

Return to Top
#622868 - 10/13/06 07:52 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Quote:

TIN related certifications; i.e. W-9's and W8-BENs, are only required on interest bearing accounts.

Ken--would a W8 or W9 be required for a loan account, where the customer is paying rather than receiving interest?

Return to Top
#622869 - 10/14/06 12:44 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No, certifications are not required on 1098 reporting. Since the reporting benefits the taxpayer, the IRS assumes he or she will give the right information.

Return to Top
#622870 - 10/17/06 07:41 PM Re: Non Resident Aliens
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
hey guys-- please check out my poll regarding NRA"s in the General Discussion thread.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z