Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#940018 - 04/10/08 09:12 PM OFAC & Govt. Agencies
moola40 Offline
A recent discussion has arisen in regards to checking govt. agencies against the OFAC list. Is it a requirement of OFAC to check these agencies when opening an account or not. Please someone settle this for me.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#940028 - 04/10/08 09:20 PM Re: OFAC & Govt. Agencies moola40
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
There is no requirement to check anyone against the list, you just don't want to be found to have done a transaction with someone on the list. For this reason you should do a risk assessment and look at various factors, such as your location, customer base, products and services, etc. to determine (and have BOD approval) on what you should be checking.

Return to Top
#940068 - 04/10/08 10:25 PM Re: OFAC & Govt. Agencies devsfan
i*sam Offline
100 Club
i*sam
Southern California
Are you talking about US government agencies? The OFAC list is all foreign entities. I would say there is minimal risk in dealing with a US government agency and would not run them against OFAC.

If you mean foreign government agencies and people working for those agencies, I would consider them high risk and ALWAYS check them for OFAC (and World-Check to pick up on any PEP/SFPF).

Return to Top
#940224 - 04/11/08 12:52 PM Re: OFAC & Govt. Agencies i*sam
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: i*sam
... The OFAC list is all foreign entities...

I suppose that depends on your definition of 'foreign'. The OFAC lists contain a number of US entities; individuals, companies and charitable organizations.

Also,..., others have done an excellent job of explaining the compliance principles behind a 'risk-based' approach to sanctions checking.

I will add an operational/tactical perspective. It could be more trouble than it is worth to add exceptions to your systems and procedures.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z