Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1413590 - 07/09/10 07:52 PM Funds Transfers Recordkeeping Question
bsaLife Offline
For wire transfers recordkeeping requirements, the BSA/AML Examination manual states the following:
For each payment order in the amount of $3,000 or more that a bank accepts as an originator's bank, the bank must obtain and retain the following records.

I know this may be a silly question but when it states '$3,000 or more', is it referring that the currency transaction amount for each payment order has to be $3,000 or more for the recordkeeping? For example, if a customer A's payment order is only $1,000 but A deposits $3,000 in currency for this wire transfer and other expense. Then we have to keep a record of this payment order. A few people at my work think this is how the recordkeeping should be done. However I think $3,000 or more rule refers to only the payment order amount specified by the customer regardless of the any currency transaction amount. Who's right? Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by bsaLife; 07/09/10 08:09 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1413610 - 07/09/10 08:25 PM Re: Funds Transfers Recordkeeping Question bsaLife
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The amount of currency involved is relevant to record retention for official checks. The presence/absence of currency is not relevant to record retention on funds transfers.

If it's $3,000 or more you keep what you're told to keep.

Return to Top
#1413613 - 07/09/10 08:27 PM Re: Funds Transfers Recordkeeping Question Elwood P. Dowd
bsaLife Offline
That's what I thought. Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z