Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1557235 - 05/26/11 04:57 PM CIP on informal partnership
GottaLuvIt Offline
My brain is not functioning today....HELP!

We have four individuals who together have created an informal partnership - meaning there is no legal or formal partnership agreement nor TIN. They want to establish a new account in the name of the informal partnership using one of the individual's socials.

Who would you CIP and what documents would you obtain?

Our policy states for a "General Partnership" to obtain the partnership agreement, but it does not address informal partnerships such as this.

THANKS!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1557259 - 05/26/11 05:14 PM Re: CIP on informal partnership GottaLuvIt
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I would consider it a joint personal account, title it such and CIP each one of them. There is not recognized organization type of 'informal partnership' and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Either that or let them go elsewhere, 'cause you're just going to get stuck in the middle when something goes wrong with the funds.

Return to Top
#1557277 - 05/26/11 05:23 PM Re: CIP on informal partnership Doug Hendrickson
GottaLuvIt Offline
thanks! that's what i was thinking

Return to Top
#1557781 - 05/27/11 02:47 PM Re: CIP on informal partnership GottaLuvIt
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If your state has enacted the "Uniform Partnership Act" then it's a partnership, not a joint account. The law provides a statutory partnership agreement to govern the activity of those foolish enough to do business in this fashion.

The CIP regulation stipulates that your CIP address this situation if you allow it to happen:

(C) Additional verification for certain customers. The CIP must address situations where, based on the bank's risk assessment of a new account opened by a customer that is not an individual, the bank will obtain information about individuals with authority or control over such account, including signatories, in order to verify the customer's identity. This verification method applies only when the bank cannot verify the customer’s true identity using the verification methods described in paragraphs (b)(2)(ii)(A) and (B) of this section.

Frankly, I would not allow it to happen; i.e. I would not open the account. (It sounds as if the folks who wrote your CIP dictated that result anyway.)

Four people who go into buisness together with so little forethought are likely to end up on the rocks somewhere.

Return to Top
#1558026 - 05/27/11 05:38 PM Re: CIP on informal partnership Elwood P. Dowd
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Wrong thread. sorry.
Last edited by Princess Romeo; 05/27/11 05:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1558039 - 05/27/11 05:48 PM Re: CIP on informal partnership GottaLuvIt
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Plus, even an informal partnership requires a TIN.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z