Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1612870 - 10/05/11 06:57 PM New Account-License Soon to Expire
tango Offline
100 Club
Our internal security/BSA officer asked if we have any procedures on what we do if a person opens a new account and presents a drivers license that's about to expire. We don't have anything in our procedures to address this. As far as I'm concerned if the license is unexpired when they open the account, no additional steps should be required. Apparently we've had a few customers recently with this exact scenario--I think one had a license that was expiring the very next day. We enter the license # and expiration date in their customer profile and every month she pulls a report to see what CIP information might be missing from new accounts that are opened. I can't imagine telling customers that they have to come back in when their license expires so we can update our system. Thoughts?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1612877 - 10/05/11 07:01 PM Re: New Account-License Soon to Expire tango
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
You're correct, no further action is necessary. It is a valid form of ID when accepted, you're good to go.

Return to Top
#1612882 - 10/05/11 07:04 PM Re: New Account-License Soon to Expire BrendaC
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Agreed; if it's valid as of the day you open the account, it's valid!

Return to Top
#1612883 - 10/05/11 07:05 PM Re: New Account-License Soon to Expire tango
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
The purpose of CIP is to form a reasonable belief that you know the true identity of each customer. The customer does not suddenly have a different identity the day after their license expires.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z