Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1728775 - 08/08/12 05:46 PM CIP
Mrs.Dawn Offline
New Poster
When a customer rents a safe deposit box and adds a signer (not a joint owner)to it, are we required to obtain all CIP information or is this person really not considered a customer? Also, if the box owner is deceased, is the signer allowed to access the box, or only a joint owner??

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1728785 - 08/08/12 05:54 PM Re: CIP Mrs.Dawn
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The CIP regulation does not apply to a mere signatory, only a customer. The correct terminology for someone who has access to a safe deposit box, but is not a party to the contract is a "deputy" and a deputy would be the equivalent of a mere signatory. While the regulation's CIP requirements do not apply to a deputy, the language in your bank's CIP may require that all parties having access would be subject to your identification process.

The law regarding safe deposit boxes is a function of state court decisions, state statutes, and the specific terms of your contract. Generally, the powers of a deputy end with the death of the renter(s) who appointed him.

Return to Top
#1728850 - 08/08/12 06:52 PM Re: CIP Mrs.Dawn
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Mrs. Dawn - I'm not sure which state you are located, but your state Bankers Association can probably be a great help to you with resources & training on safe box issues.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z