Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1836189 - 07/24/13 09:32 PM Customer has 1 name
namwalhsif Offline
Texas
They say you come across weird things on a full moon. I have a customer that wants to open an account and on their DL and Soc Sec card there is just one name listed "Shorty" (Not Actual Name as our customer). They passed our identity check processor but only after placing the name in both the first name and last name field. The Social Security check was approved, but of course there was an OFAC hit due to many AKA's with this same name. We opened the account but will be monitoring for unusual activity. Has any one else run into this situation? Thanks for any advice.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1836193 - 07/24/13 09:41 PM Re: Customer has 1 name namwalhsif
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I doubt that was the name his mother gave him on the day of his birth... Regardless of what the standard verification processes would accept, I would want to see a birth certificate and a document legally changing his name.

You're absolutely right, I've never heard of such a thing so I would not be anxious to accept it. If it is for real, however, I think I've met him. He's a short guy who likes as much attention as he can get? wink

Return to Top
#1836199 - 07/24/13 10:03 PM Re: Customer has 1 name namwalhsif
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
For the record, in my area of Northern California, it's not unheard of to have a customer who has legally changed his or her name to a single name. Usually something like "moonbeam" or "sunshine" --neither of these is an actual customer name, but you get the idea.

Return to Top
#1836227 - 07/25/13 01:45 AM Re: Customer has 1 name mtngrrl
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
North West will be comfortable opening an account with you, but she will have a birth certificate for corroboration! wink

Return to Top
#1836576 - 07/25/13 07:53 PM Re: Customer has 1 name namwalhsif
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
LOL.
And Moonbeam's last name is Brown.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z