Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1879624 - 12/17/13 09:17 PM New Hire Training
horizon Offline
I remember a regulator dinging us because the tellers and other customer service areas did not have BSA training prior to hitting the floor. Looking in the BSA/AML Manual I can only find this:

"In addition, an overview of the BSA/AML requirements typically should be given to new staff during employee orientation."

I am having trouble finding something saying that they have to have BSA training during orientation. Can you help?
Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1879651 - 12/17/13 10:05 PM Re: New Hire Training horizon
MyScamper Offline
Gold Star
Between here and there
All of our new employees receive BSA training within 30 days of hire. We've been examined 3 times since I started here and this has never been an issue with the FDIC.

Return to Top
#1879661 - 12/17/13 10:21 PM Re: New Hire Training horizon
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
You referenced the verbiage from the BSA/AML Manual. That's a very strong point of reference. I would opine that should suffice in most, if not all cases.

Return to Top
#1879673 - 12/17/13 10:42 PM Re: New Hire Training horizon
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would like to see someone put a teller on the line without BSA/AML training for 30 days and try to defend it.

Return to Top
#1879674 - 12/17/13 10:45 PM Re: New Hire Training horizon
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
In other words...how can you demonstrate that your teller knows to looks for structuring, or what information to gather if a CTR is required, or if a monetary instrument is sold in excess of $3,000 in cash, and a host of other reasons.

Return to Top
#1879682 - 12/17/13 10:58 PM Re: New Hire Training horizon
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
We do ours during their training period. I agree with BrianC, what if they have one of these reportable transactions or suspicious activity? There is no way I would put someone on the teller line without at lease an overview of BSA and what their responsibilities are.
I don't think you are going to find something that says you have to train during orientation because not everyone has orientation. But the idea is that you don't let them have their drawer and interact with customers until the BSA training has been completed.

Return to Top
#1880294 - 12/19/13 06:21 PM Re: New Hire Training horizon
MyScamper Offline
Gold Star
Between here and there
I didn't mean to say that the tellers didn't receive ANY BSA training for 30 days. They have 30 days to complete the on-line training course that I assign. They certainly are introduced to BSA during the side-by-side training they receive in the branch before they are put in a window.

Return to Top
#1880313 - 12/19/13 06:45 PM Re: New Hire Training MyScamper
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: MyScamper
I didn't mean to say that the tellers didn't receive ANY BSA training for 30 days. They have 30 days to complete the on-line training course that I assign. They certainly are introduced to BSA during the side-by-side training they receive in the branch before they are put in a window.

Well, you didn't. But that is what the original poster said the regulators were dinging them for........

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z