Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1975622 - 11/11/14 05:04 PM Closing Accounts - repeat SAR
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Good morning. Our bank is considering closing a customer's accounts due to ongoing suspicious activity.

This particular customer has a personal account, a new business account, and a safe deposit box with our bank. Do any of you have experience closing out a customer's relationship with your financial institution when the customer has a safe deposit box relationship?

I've seen many examples of sample letters to customers regarding closing their deposit account. Do you have any suggestions on how to ask someone to come in and close their box? We are trying to make this as "confrontation-free" as possible, considering the front line tellers feel somewhat intimidated by this individual.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1975623 - 11/11/14 05:12 PM Re: Closing Accounts - repeat SAR BFrame
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would check your safe deposit box contract.

Return to Top
#1975624 - 11/11/14 05:42 PM Re: Closing Accounts - repeat SAR BFrame
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Our contract indicates that we may terminate the relationship with a 30-day written notice.

Return to Top
#1975625 - 11/11/14 05:51 PM Re: Closing Accounts - repeat SAR BFrame
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Just state within the same letter that you are also terminating their safe deposit contract per paragraph XX of the contract and that they need to empty their box and return the keys by xx/xx/xx or the box will be drilled and if that happens, they will be assessed additional fees. You probably should also state that you will provide them a refund for the current year's rent to give them some additional incentive.

Return to Top
#1975626 - 11/11/14 06:04 PM Re: Closing Accounts - repeat SAR BFrame
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z