Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1981420 - 12/05/14 09:24 PM NYC ID cards
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
CIP documentary verification related - I am curious as to how receptive financial institutions will be regarding this form of identification.

See article:
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20141205/BLOGS04/141209886/city-rolls-out-municipal-id-program

See list of prrof of identity and residency documents accepted in order to obtain the NYC ID card:
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/muniid/card/documentation.page

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1981449 - 12/05/14 10:00 PM Re: NYC ID cards happyauditor
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
We have branches in NYC and I do not think we will accept this as primary ID since I believe the individual would/should have a better official government-issued ID. I might have a fight on my hands however.

Return to Top
#1981450 - 12/05/14 10:01 PM Re: NYC ID cards happyauditor
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
if the person can provide "Driver's licenses and handgun permits are worth four points, for example, while U.S. passports and New York state electronic benefit transfer cards..." why would I need to use the new card.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1981452 - 12/05/14 10:09 PM Re: NYC ID cards edAudit
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: edAudit
if the person can provide "Driver's licenses and handgun permits are worth four points, for example, while U.S. passports and New York state electronic benefit transfer cards..." why would I need to use the new card.

I was thinking the exact same thing Ed. Why would license be worth more points than a valid passport?

Return to Top
#1981456 - 12/05/14 10:11 PM Re: NYC ID cards happyauditor
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The passport has no address.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1981457 - 12/05/14 10:18 PM Re: NYC ID cards Kathleen O. Blanchard
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
The passport has no address.

True, but the addresses are not always current. This may be more of a local thing for me, as the city has a very population of renters.

Return to Top
#1981475 - 12/05/14 11:45 PM Re: NYC ID cards happyauditor
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Oh I agree re current address (many many people in the country rent), but that is the difference from the passport. You have no chance of a current address with a passport. Plus, they are renewed much less frequently.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1981972 - 12/09/14 08:59 PM Re: NYC ID cards happyauditor
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
We have branches in NYC; they have already been told that we will not accept the NYC ID card. One of the purposes for the card is to allow un-documented workers to have some form of picture ID.

We do not open accounts for NRAs, and by definition an un-documented worker is an NRA. In addition, many of the documents acceptable to NYC to issue the ID, are not accept, for our CIP program, why should we accept them indirectly through the NYC ID program?

I am sure many will disagree with me on this position.

Return to Top
#2015115 - 05/20/15 12:49 PM Re: NYC ID cards BC78a
BSA Aficionado Offline
Have any Banks with a footprint in New York re-considered accepting the NY Municipal ID Card since the Agencies weighed in on whether it complied with BSA requirements..basically stating that FIs may accept it but should take a risk-based approach in deciding whether they should. If you are accepting it, are there any restrictions (e.g., as a secondary ID only, with an I-TIN only, only in conjunction with a specific ID type)?

Return to Top
#2015131 - 05/20/15 01:36 PM Re: NYC ID cards happyauditor
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
We are still not accepting it and have no plans to in the future.

Return to Top
#2015135 - 05/20/15 01:48 PM Re: NYC ID cards ACBbank
BSA Aficionado Offline
What is the basis for the decision to not accept it?

Return to Top
#2015144 - 05/20/15 02:10 PM Re: NYC ID cards BSA Aficionado
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By BSA Aficionado
What is the basis for the decision to not accept it?

Our Board approved CIP Policy doesn't permit it. We are a private bank and I would opine that the type of customer's we want to attract will not be carrying this type of ID, so I don't see any reason to revise the CIP Policy.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z