Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2063402 - 02/09/16 10:25 PM MSB annual review
zozo Offline
We have examiners on site. BSA examiner recommends us (the examiner will put that on the report) to add annual summary for the transaction activities (such as cash activity, ACH activity, wire) on annual review report.

Give you some background information about our bank:
We are a $250MM bank with 3 MSBs.
We monitor transaction monthly via Bankers Tool Box.

For MSB annual review, we have site visit, questionnaire, and review 3 months statements, make sure they register with FinCEN.
My thought process is: we already review their accounts monthly (because they hit alerts every month), is that necessary do that annually? Is that redundant?

Can anyone share what items they review on MSB annually?
Any information will be appreciated!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2063420 - 02/10/16 12:36 AM Re: MSB annual review zozo
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You are dealing with a personal opinion that is not based in any fact. Kick it up the food chain with your regulator.

Return to Top
#2063521 - 02/10/16 04:53 PM Re: MSB annual review zozo
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
Originally Posted By zozo
We have examiners on site. BSA examiner recommends us (the examiner will put that on the report) to add annual summary for the transaction activities (such as cash activity, ACH activity, wire) on annual review report.

Give you some background information about our bank:
We are a $250MM bank with 3 MSBs.
We monitor transaction monthly via Bankers Tool Box.

For MSB annual review, we have site visit, questionnaire, and review 3 months statements, make sure they register with FinCEN.
My thought process is: we already review their accounts monthly (because they hit alerts every month), is that necessary do that annually? Is that redundant?

Can anyone share what items they review on MSB annually?
Any information will be appreciated!

It all depends on the level of risk involved. In my opinion, what you perform sounds sufficient for an MSB agent (e.g. Western Union money order seller). However, if this were a higher risk MSB such as a check casher, you'd be better served with a more targeted account review, such as a comparison of check deposits to cash withdrawals to ensure they aren't using a separate cash source to exchange value for their checks.

Return to Top
#2063567 - 02/10/16 06:12 PM Re: MSB annual review zozo
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you are working with Bankers Toolbox the system can give you yearly figures in 2 minutes, so if it is not worth the argument, just run the BAM reports, document them and file them. I don't do that, and have not been asked to, but I do extensive monthly reviews comparing cash outs vs deposits, returned items, etc., and did a spot review of individual deposits.

Return to Top
#2063647 - 02/10/16 08:01 PM Re: MSB annual review zozo
Sunpokey Offline
We (I) do quarterly reviews on all MSB and High Risk customers and focus on Cash, ACH, ATM, Debits (checks) and Credits. We also use Yellow Hammer and have quarterly and monthly worklist that we work and review. There is also annual on-site visits conducted where the officer goes out and takes pictures, a new on-site visit check list filled out with averages and services provided. We finished our state exam last week and we had no findings or recommendations.

Return to Top
#2063707 - 02/10/16 09:55 PM Re: MSB annual review MagicCity
zozo Offline
hi MagicCity,

Thank you for the information!
Do you mind sharing with me that how much information you enter in BAM to close an alert if there is no suspicious activity? I don't know how much information is sufficient and effective. Many thanks again!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z