Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2105816 - 11/03/16 01:51 PM CTR - School Athletic Fund
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
We have a school district that brought in over $10,000 from a football game's ticket sales. The account is titled "ABC School Athletic Fund" and uses ABC School's EIN number. Am I correct in thinking that they are exempt from CTR reporting?

If they are or aren't exempt, we identified them by their board of education minutes. Would that be acceptable form of "other identification" to list on the CTR?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2105827 - 11/03/16 02:16 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund bcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If it's a public school, then it is supported by tax revenues and qualifies as a government entity. Rely less on the EIN and more on the documentation that you received to open the account and change signatories; i.e. does it come from the school itself.

Return to Top
#2105835 - 11/03/16 02:44 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund bcompliance
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Thanks for the reply Ken - they are a public school. I'm not sure why, but we haven't exempted them yet and it seems we don't intend to... Seems like a waste of time to me but oh well.
Last edited by bcompliance; 11/03/16 02:45 PM. Reason: added public school comment

Return to Top
#2105836 - 11/03/16 02:50 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund bcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Any government entity is automatically exempt; i.e. it is unnecessary to file a DOEP and wrong to file a CTR.

Return to Top
#2105866 - 11/03/16 04:33 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund bcompliance
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
I completely agree with you. However, currently I am not the BSA Officer so I just do as I'm told. This is the second or third time I've brought it to their attention when a question has came up regarding a CTR by the individual who files the CTRs.

Return to Top
#2105911 - 11/03/16 07:35 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund bcompliance
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Can you convince that individual to join the BOL community? There's a lot of good experience being shared in these forums.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2106052 - 11/04/16 04:54 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund bcompliance
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
They actually are a member, they just don't rely on it like I do. This site is the best tool that I have found in regards to researching, getting prompt, accurate answers (yes, that includes asking our bank consultant). It truly is invaluable.

Return to Top
#2106095 - 11/04/16 07:15 PM Re: CTR - School Athletic Fund John Burnett
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
Originally Posted By John Burnett
Can you convince that individual to join the BOL community? There's a lot of good experience being shared in these forums.

I've told this to just about every person in my bank. BOL is fantastic and I'm so thankful for everyone here.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z