Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2162745 - 02/01/18 05:07 PM Fraudulent checks deposited by multiple customers
Rancher Offline
Over the course of two months we have had 3 different customers deposit fraudulent checks that are all drawn on John Doe's closed account at another Bank. There is no link between our 3 customers except that they all deposited checks from John Doe's closed account.

-SAR #1 on the first situation (customer A), our knowledge was that our customer was a victim and John Doe was the suspect.
-SAR #2 when we discovered the second situation (customer B) we filed a separate SAR and noted the first SAR in the narrative. Our knowledge was that our customer was a suspect and so was John Doe.
-We now have a third situation with customer C and need to file. Our knowledge for the third situation is that our customer and John Doe are suspects.

Because all 3 situations involve John Doe's account at another Bank, would we be better off to file an amended SAR to combine all 3 situations into a single SAR, or continue to file separately for each of our affected customers and note previous SAR's in the narrative?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2162752 - 02/01/18 05:39 PM Re: Fraudulent checks deposited by multiple customers Rancher
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I wouldn't file an amended SAR when nothing has changed on those reports simply for the purpose of combining. I wouldn't file #3 now either, in fact. I would consider it additional activity on SAR #1 and file it in 90 days from that SAR, adding all suspects you have (and at that time discuss that you are combining in SAR #2).

However, I WOULD add all items to the local police report as they happen so they can get after John Doe.

Return to Top
#2162788 - 02/01/18 07:35 PM Re: Fraudulent checks deposited by multiple customers Rancher
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
you could be dealing with a ring that has chosen you as the lucky bank of the week.

I would close all prior to dealing with the SAR issue.

If they did not deposit the checks you could open a new one.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2162821 - 02/01/18 09:45 PM Re: Fraudulent checks deposited by multiple customers Rancher
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
While it's possible that the three customers have never heard of one another, there is definitely a link between them: They all dealt with or are in cahoots with the fraudster. Talk to them. Try to connect the dots.

There is no guidance on "combining" SARs based on a common theme song, just opinions, of which this is only one. After talking to all three customers, I would file a SAR identifying the two previous SARs and telling a condensed version of their stories and a full version of this story noting all common denominators; i.e. I would combine the 3 instances into a single SAR and say that I had done so.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z