Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2165995 - 02/27/18 04:43 PM CIP on Non-Customer check cashing
HubbaBubba Offline
Gold Star
Curious as to if any of you conduct full CIP procedures (have them fill out a cip form which asks for DOB, SS#, mother's maiden name, physical address, etc.) on people who are NON-CUSTOMERS that come in to cash checks (can be on-us or not).

We do ask for photo id, but also do a full CIP on them. Is this necessary?

TIA

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2166000 - 02/27/18 04:56 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
Goodland Offline
We ask for full CIP, Occupation, etc... the first time any non customer cashes an on us check. The reason is that our BSA system will need this information for CTR aggregation purposes. Every subsequent time we just enter the customer ID# or name to log the $ in the BSA system.

Return to Top
#2166008 - 02/27/18 05:14 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
We do not cash checks for non-customers which are not on-us, and we have a $$ cap for on-us checks as well unless the branch obtains senior level approval (we'll swap them a cashier's check for the excess though). At $2,500.00 and up our system will prompt for CTR info, so that does the trick for us.

If the same non-customer is repeatedly cashing on-us checks, they are likely business purpose and we won't cash them at all for any amount. They can open a business account here and deposit them, or deposit them wherever their business account might be--again we'll swap them a cashier's check if they are worried about good funds or holds at their bank.

Return to Top
#2166024 - 02/27/18 06:49 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing Daisy Doodle
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By Daisy Doodle

If the same non-customer is repeatedly cashing on-us checks, they are likely business purpose and we won't cash them at all for any amount. They can open a business account here and deposit them, or deposit them wherever their business account might be--again we'll swap them a cashier's check if they are worried about good funds or holds at their bank.

what if they are cashing their paycheck every other week?

Return to Top
#2166059 - 02/27/18 08:02 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
Well, I would say cashing paychecks is not business purpose activity. And paychecks would be below our threshold typically.

Return to Top
#2166083 - 02/27/18 09:08 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
Oursisnottoreasonwhy Offline
Platinum Poster
Oursisnottoreasonwhy
Central Illinois
If they aren't establishing an account relationship there is no need to do CIP.

Return to Top
#2166088 - 02/27/18 09:28 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
The elements for CIP are needed for CTR's, if one is required. I expect that is what the OP meant.

Return to Top
#2166118 - 02/28/18 12:32 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing Daisy Doodle
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
"CIP" includes obtaining information and verifying information. How are you going to verify a name/TIN combination at the window?

If I am cashing a check at your bank for 10K or less and you ask me for my SSN please understand, I will make one up just to demonstrate the question is pointless.

My mother's maiden name? Mcgillicutti.

Return to Top
#2166138 - 02/28/18 03:22 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
From now on Ken, I am going to refer to you as “Little Ricky.”

Return to Top
#2166215 - 02/28/18 08:11 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
No, CIP is not required for non-customers.

Return to Top
#2166279 - 03/01/18 12:40 PM Re: CIP on Non-Customer check cashing HubbaBubba
TryingtoComply Online
Diamond Poster
The West
I've worked for banks that also did this:

We ask for full CIP, Occupation, etc... the first time any non customer cashes an on us check. The reason is that our BSA system will need this information for CTR aggregation purposes. Every subsequent time we just enter the customer ID# or name to log the $ in the BSA system.

HubbaBubba,

You referred to it as "CIP," but your bank is likely doing this so that it has the information on file in the event a CTR needs to be filed for aggregated transactions. It's just data collection for a possible future event. Teller systems that I've looked at allow for lowering the threshold from $10,000 to any dollar amount to cause tellers to collect the information on non-customers.

There have been many times that this feature enabled us to file a CTR with all the necessary information for non-customers hopping around to different branches. I actually had a non-customer complain to the FRB about this at one bank. We responded to the complaint and the FRB advised the non-customer that we were not breaking any law. They fully supported our efforts to have such a policy to enable us to meet our CTR filing obligations.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z