Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2184778 - 07/10/18 05:22 PM SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Ok, this seems like a really stupid question, but I'm working on a SAR and I have more than 99 subjects (lots of checks issued to multiple different people). The form only lets you add 99, so how do you file when you have more subjects than that? I've searched, including the forums here, and I couldn't find an answer. Anyone have any thoughts? The only thing I could think of is to file this one and then file and amendment with additional subjects.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2184786 - 07/10/18 06:51 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
WOW that must be quite the SAR! I would contact FinCEN for their guidance. I believe if you file an amendment to the a SAR it wipes it out like it never happened and gets replaced with the new SAR.
Good luck!

Return to Top
#2184791 - 07/10/18 07:27 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Offhand I would think you name the additional subjects in the narrative after explaining that there are more than 99 subjects involved and here are the subjects that could not be included in the subject fields. But as suggested, FinCEN should be the one to provide guidance.

Return to Top
#2184792 - 07/10/18 07:29 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Please let us know what FinCEN advises. Just curious.

Return to Top
#2184796 - 07/10/18 07:41 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Similar topic, different field. I had a client file a SAR due to a debit card data breach which involved more than 99 card numbers. FinCEN advised the bank to create a .csv file of the account numbers and describe the content of the attachment in the narrative.

Return to Top
#2184797 - 07/10/18 07:42 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
To ItNeverEnds question. If these are counterfeit checks, do we really believe that all the recipients are truly subjects or are these money mules who won the UK National Lottery, were hired as secret shoppers, sold an item on Ebay of Craig's list and received a check for more than the agreed purchase price, etc.

These folks may actually be victims and would not be listed in Part I.

Return to Top
#2184801 - 07/10/18 07:55 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm down to the wire to file and didn't realize until we started compiling all the names that we'd be over 99, and I'm sure FinCEN will take forever to get back to me. So I may have to file with what I think is best to avoid a late SAR.

To answer Brian, these aren't counterfeit checks, but receivers of marijuana related funds, so I think they all need to be listed as subjects. Each one on their own isn't a huge amount, but there are a lot of them.

Return to Top
#2184817 - 07/10/18 08:41 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
The MRB is your depositor, and the 99+ are payees on their various transactions?

Return to Top
#2184832 - 07/10/18 09:11 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file JacF
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By JacPCB
The MRB is your depositor, and the 99+ are payees on their various transactions?

Not quite, our customer is providing services to some marijuana businesses, and the funds are moving through our bank by means of wires, ACH and then the checks are to people that work for the marijuana business. I don't want to be too specific in a public forum.

Return to Top
#2184896 - 07/11/18 03:43 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I believe you can just attach a .csv file to your filing.

Return to Top
#2184997 - 07/11/18 07:37 PM Re: SAR - More Than 99 Subjects - How to file ItNeverEnds CRCM
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
So, your customer was getting a kickback for allowing their account to be used to move the funds?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z