Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2176273 - 05/02/18 01:24 PM Beneficial Ownership exemption - equipment leasing
BSAguy Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
We have a legal entity borrower that directly leases equipment to commercial customers. We loan them money to finance those leases, and take the lease receivable as collateral. Each lease is financed by an individual loan that matches the terms of the lease behind it. We originate multiple loans a week to this customer. Lease payments are made to our legal entity customer who then makes the payments on their loan with us.

Would this customer qualify under the equipment purchase and leasing exemption under 31 CFR 1010.230(h)(1)(iv)? I don't think it does, but I don't want to create unnecessary work either.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2176276 - 05/02/18 01:40 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership exemption - equipment leasing BSAguy
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No. You are not making payments directly to a vendor or lessor.

The equipment lease and purchase exemption would apply because the account
established at the covered financial institution meets all of the requirements of the
exemption, which are that (1) the account’s purpose is to finance the purchase or
leasing of equipment, (2) payments are remitted directly by the financial institution
to the vendor or lessor, and (3) there is no possibility of a cash refund on the
account activity

Return to Top
#2176278 - 05/02/18 01:57 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership exemption - equipment leasing BSAguy
BSAguy Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Thanks Randy. That was my interpretation, but how FAQ #31 was written made me second guess myself.

Return to Top
#2190515 - 08/24/18 03:52 PM Re: Beneficial Ownership exemption - equipment leasing BSAguy
Whyisit Offline
Same scenario as above - but the lessee makes the payment directly to the loan. Making it overly complicated - but the company that we have the Note with is who we perform CDDBO - the lessee is not our customer for purposes of the beneficial ownership rules

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z