Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2216204 - 06/20/19 10:08 PM CTR Scenerio---Help Needed!
Pepperjam_184515 Offline
New Poster
Hello Everyone! smile

I have a CTR Scenerio that I am in need of guidance with, and I was hoping that all of you smart fellas could help me. smile

Husband and wife share joint accounts. Only wife comes in to cash numerous checks totaling over the $10,000.00 threshold (and some of the checks are drawn on our bank.) Also, 4 of the 18 of the checks that the wife cashed were just written out to the husband, the rest of the checks were written out to the wife.

Now my questions:

1) I, obviously, will include the husband on the CTR since some of the checks were written out to him, but do I put the dollar amount of the checks [/i][/u]that were just written out to him[u][i] in #22 on his Part I person involved in transactions? Or do I include the total amount of cash that the wife walked out with?

2) None of the checks that were written to the husband were drawn on our bank, but some of the checks written to the wife were. Do I enter those account numbers in #22, even though she is not an owner on those account(s)?

The wife also brought in cash to contribute to the outgoing cash, which has been included in the CTR amount. After having a conversation with the teller who completed the transaction, she stated that they had a garage sale and are in the process of moving as well - so it is "possible" that they both will have benefitted from the total amount of cash.

Any thoughts or concerns how to proceed with this one?

Thanks in advance! smile

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2216232 - 06/21/19 01:16 PM Re: CTR Scenerio---Help Needed! Pepperjam_184515
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
First, welcome to BOL! Glad you are here. smile

This is an interesting question with a few moving parts, so I feel we might need a bit of clarification to send you in the right direction. Therefore, my question is this: If the check was made out to the husband, how did you cash it for him? For example, did he sign it over to his wife or did you deposit it first into the joint account and then let her withdraw funds?

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2216239 - 06/21/19 02:00 PM Re: CTR Scenerio---Help Needed! Pepperjam_184515
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
Welcome to BOL!

In addition to what Adam asked above, I'm also curious about this statement:

Originally Posted By Pepperjam_184515
The wife also brought in cash to contribute to the outgoing cash, which has been included in the CTR amount

Was this a currency exchange (i.e., she brought in a bunch of $20's to get $100's back)? I'm just confused where else cash coming into the bank could be considered outgoing cash.

Return to Top
#2216240 - 06/21/19 02:20 PM Re: CTR Scenerio---Help Needed! Adam Witmer
Pepperjam_184515 Offline
New Poster
Hello!

Thank you for the Warm Welcome! smile

The check was written to the husband, husband signed the check and then the wife signed underneath the husband as she is receiving the cash. After looking at all 18 checks, the ones written out to the husband the wife signed as well, and the ones written out to the wife, the husband signed (even though he was not present.)

Does this make sense?

Return to Top
#2216241 - 06/21/19 02:21 PM Re: CTR Scenerio---Help Needed! MScarn6942
Pepperjam_184515 Offline
New Poster
Yes... this was a currency exchange. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z