Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2221233 - 09/09/19 09:15 PM OFAC on Correspondent Bank
Lexicon Tommy Offline
New Poster
Hi All. Came across a discussion today that seemed like a no brainer but then I was told the opposite answer. Our BSA officer was told at her previous institution they it was "recommended" they check OFAC on their correspondent bank that sends/receives wires on their behalf. This seems quite excessive and pointless since the correspondent bank is a domestic bank that is federally regulated. We send our wires through PCBB and I can't see the purpose of performing and OFAC search on them daily. Has anyone else ever encounter this?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2221242 - 09/09/19 09:55 PM Re: OFAC on Correspondent Bank Lexicon Tommy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Hello Lexicon, I'm with you, running OFAC on a US financial institution is not something I would consider a high priority, especially daily.

Return to Top
#2221258 - 09/10/19 12:44 PM Re: OFAC on Correspondent Bank Lexicon Tommy
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I agree with RockChucker that running OFAC on a US financial institution wouldn't typically be a high priority. That said, I have seen auditors (and examiners) make these types of recommendations. The bottom line to me is that OFAC is risk-based, so whatever you do needs to be justified by risk (i.e. risk assessment) and then outlined in your procedures. If both of these things align with a decision to not review OFAC on your correspondent bank daily, I would agree that it isn't necessary.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2221270 - 09/10/19 02:11 PM Re: OFAC on Correspondent Bank Lexicon Tommy
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Running an OFAC check on a US based, regulated FI isn't really worth it. However, if you're using an automated screening model most of them will screen all parties on a funds transfer automatically.

Return to Top
#2221304 - 09/10/19 05:20 PM Re: OFAC on Correspondent Bank Lexicon Tommy
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We do not check domestic banks as it's low risk. We note that in our BSA/OFAC risk assessment and OFAC procedure and the Board is aware of it. Have not had any issues.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z