Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2084801 - 06/23/16 01:31 PM Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration
I'm Not A Banker Offline
I'm Not A Banker
We have a community college (several actually) that I have been trying hard to figure out a way to collaborate with for a CRA project regarding job creation/job retention/workforce development/economic development. I've been struck with that "trying to come up with something innovative bug." The college currently has a lot of workforce development programs that send people straight into the job market, including several jobs that fall into the LMI category that need special certifications (food service, dental techs, CNAs, etc.) as well as training for recently displaced workers. Are there any other banks out there doing some collaborative work with colleges and their students that might fit into the CRA model? I'm looking for something beyond financial literacy training for post college, student loans, etc. Maybe I'm trying too hard to fit a square peg into a round hole but I feel like there has to be something to this idea. Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
CRA
#2084859 - 06/23/16 04:49 PM Re: Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration I'm Not A Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I would first check to see what the % of students receiving Pell grants is at the college. If it is over 50%, then any kind of collaboration on job creation, workforce development, etc. is going to get investment credit. Throw in any kind of banking expertise presentations and you have service credit. Don't frazzle you brain trying to be innovative.

Be sure the special certification programs don't involve too much education or necessary training. These should be low skill, low pay jobs. That is what the examiners like to see.

Return to Top
#2084867 - 06/23/16 05:46 PM Re: Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration I'm Not A Banker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Is there public database to determine the number of students receiving financial aid at a college? Or would it be easiest to call them directly?

Return to Top
#2084897 - 06/23/16 06:42 PM Re: Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration I'm Not A Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The percent of students receiving Pell grants by college can be found at the National Center for Education Statistics, here is a link for the largest community college in Texas, as you can see on the page, 67% of all undergraduates receive a Pell grant:

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?id=225423

You would search for the school, click on financial aid, and then expand the stats to find the % receiving Pell grants.

Return to Top
#2085012 - 06/24/16 01:21 PM Re: Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration I'm Not A Banker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
AWESOME!

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2085013 - 06/24/16 01:25 PM Re: Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration I'm Not A Banker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Follow up question...it seems silly to ask, but it's Friday and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Given that 67% of students at the community college receive Pell grants, you would count any donation to the college as CRA eligible but also investments in bonds offered by the college as well? Right? A majority of students served are LMI.

Return to Top
#2085225 - 06/24/16 09:06 PM Re: Best Practice on Investment/Collaboration I'm Not A Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Yes, I think that is right ol' royal rider!

Return to Top